MS661 air filter question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Sawyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy new saw MS661 (non Mtronic) my question should I stick with the stock air filter or go with MaxFlow. I understand the new saw air filters are bit different. I've heard both have problems with fines getting pass the air filter so not sure. Hoping for opinions... with regular filter maintenance is the stock filter good enough? Depending on the situation, I tap/rotate out the filters on my older saws and haven't seen a problem with stock filters. I never saw the need to go to aftermarket filter, I only have one ported saw with a muffler mod. All my other saws are stock.

I stop at local saw shop yesterday to check on price and inventory and asked the question about air filters. His opinion the stock filter is fine and unless the saw has a muffler mod it not worth buying the MaxFlow. He personally seen issues with fines getting past the MaxFlow not with the stock filters.

I know there are lots guys on this forum running new saws and have experience with the new filter systems. Oh,,,, sorry I should say my question is regards Stihl saws.

I'm getting ready to buy new saw MS661 (non Mtronic) my question should I stick with the stock air filter or go with MaxFlow. I understand the new saw air filters are bit different. I've heard both have problems with fines getting pass the air filter so not sure. Hoping for opinions... with regular filter maintenance is the stock filter good enough? Depending on the situation, I tap/rotate out the filters on my older saws and haven't seen a problem with stock filters. I never saw the need to go to aftermarket filter, I only have one ported saw with a muffler mod. All my other saws are stock.

I stop at local saw shop yesterday to check on price and inventory and asked the question about air filters. His opinion the stock filter is fine and unless the saw has a muffler mod it not worth buying the MaxFlow. He personally seen issues with fines getting past the MaxFlow not with the stock filters.

I know there are lots guys on this forum running new saws and have experience with the new filter systems. Oh,,,, sorry I should say my question is regards Stihl saws.
If you're going mill make the changes. Many forget to wash, dry and oil the filter so they will not pass fines. When you have no clean oil to capture fines they pass. Stock filters like the HD2 need to be wrapped with felt and outwear. I use outwear on a K&N type filter with a Vstack or large AM foam filters on a Vstack. I'm sure you can buy one for a 661 one or get one custom made from me as a kit or make your own. The foam filters in stock type mounts add flow but not a bunch. For me they also lack surface area and long intervals between maintaining them when doing large long mill runs repeatedly.

I put max flow filters and egan straight shots on both my 661 saws. I do regularly clean and check the filters. After every milling day, I look it over - usually just need to scrape off the loose debri, but I do periodically remove the foam, wash it, dry it, and then re-oil it. I also keep spares on hand that are oiled, so when I do my maintenance, I actually just swap in a prepared one while I do the cleaning and re-oiling on the old one.

I will say that I don't really notice any significant performance difference though, the saws weren't struggling before I made the change. It could be that I just got used to it. Before I went with max flow, I did the felt pre filter, and that helped a bit, but the filter was still getting packed. I have more confidence in the max flow.

I run a rebuilt Stihl 660 and changed to a Maxflow air filter before I started milling. I feel its so much better in filtering the air especially when milling. Cleaning the filter is easy and I do that after each milling session.

I run a rebuilt Stihl 660 and changed to a Maxflow air filter before I started milling. I feel its so much better in filtering the air especially when milling. Cleaning the filter is easy and I do that after each milling session.

Yes, I agree with Rodhaven. Filtering the air and cleaning the air filter is one of the hardest jobs while milling. But MaxFlow Air filter is simple and easy to clean. I would recommend to go with this one.

Back