MS661C Muffler Mod Testing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my personal saw. I'd love to test in larger wood, but this is the largest I have. So, I installed an 8-pin rim and a 20" bar. It's a hand filed Stihl RS chain. The saw was re-calibrated after each mod and a couple cuts made before the video was shot. I'm running E-Free 91 octane gas with 800 2T Off Road @ 32:1. I made two moderate load cuts and then two heavy load cuts. The 661 makes it's fastest cut times with a heavy load.

I started with a muffler that already had the factory port opened as much as the deflector will cover...left to right and front to back. The screen is intact to start with. I would never mod one with any less than this.

Here I have removed the internal baffle but left the screen installed.

Here I have removed the screen.

Here I have added a second port, actually a series of louvers, right in the center of the muffler cover.

With every change, I progressive made the muffler freer flowing. As expected, performance improved with every change. The MS661C loves to breathe, as do all chainsaws. With that said, I will be purchasing a new muffler cover as this one is too loud for normal use. The saw does just fine with the factory port opened up and the baffle removed.

Baffle In / Screen in - 4.99 average
Baffle Out / Screen In - 4.81
Baffle Out / Screen Out - 4.76
Baffle Out / Dual Port - 4.44

Cool thread, Brad - thanks for posting.

I can relate to the noise issue. The last saw I bought, my 562, remains the only saw in the fleet with a stock muffler (albeit, screen removed).

It sounds good, does way more than I need a 60cc'r to do, and can be ran all day w/o hearing protection. The half second just isn't worth the noise for me.

Must be that gettin old thing :)

The loud thing must be part of the quad port stihls ,main reason i do not grab the 461 very often ,thing hurts my head ,my older saws are not as loud as the newer ones modded .

Back