Ms880 not starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gixxerjoe04

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Couple weeks ago I was milling some wood, didn't get far in when the small bar extending nub(not sure of the technical name) broke. So I had to get a new one which my stihl dealer decided to order the wrong part then finally got it right, only took them almost two weeks. Anyway, went to mill some wood yesterday and I couldn't get my saw started. Haven't had the problem before, always started after 3 pulls max. The gas is only a few weeks old and mix 40:1, cleaned out the air filter, changed the spark plug because it didn't look great even though it was still sparking. Not sure what I should check next or what might be wrong. Any suggestions?

Flooded? Did you try fresh mix? Squirt some mix down the carb throats and see if it pops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it could be now, but wouldn't have been when I was trying to start it yesterday and figure the spark plug probably would have still be fine. Didn't change out the gas, used the same mix in my other saw yesterday without a problem. Of course my saw is at work and I'm heading home until Monday so won't get to mess with it until then.

Here's a video in case sounds might help, I dunno, sucks not knowing a lot about chainsaws or someone else that does haha.

If you have compressed air available, it is better to use it to dry out the cylinder and plug. When I had a Husky and a Stihl, I'd get confused sometimes and flood one or the other, and it would act just like yours. Also if it is flooded the plug will be wet.

First thing when starting i was told when i bort mine from stihl dealer was when starting push choke right down and pull cord untill it kicks.Do not try to start it again while choke is on you must move the leaver into start position then turn her over till the saw goes.Very easy to flood these BEASTS .Go luck.

So I pulled the new plug, didn't have any gas or anything on it, figured maybe it had dried off or whatever since it's sat since last Wednesday, blew it off with air for awhile just in case. Pulled on the cord with it out a dozen or so times, put the plug back in and still nothing. Pulled the plug again and it still looks fine and decided to see if it's sparking and it's not. After buying the new plug, I had tested the old one to see if it was sparking, wasn't at first and I messed with the on off switch because it may have been put on off, couldn't tell at first because the cover was off. It started sparking so figured that was the case. Tested the new plug and made sure it was on, nothing. So don't know if it's the plug or something else, threw out the old plug so can't test it to see. Might go buy another plug to see if it's the current plug or something else. So if it's not sparking after another plug, where should I go from there?

So was messing around with a little more, it has a spark, just couldn't see it very well earlier I guess. Tried starting it again with no luck, checked the plug to see if it was wet and it's not, so might not be flooded, could be something else?

With all the pulls you've made it should be flooded. You're not getting gas. Is there gas in the tank?

Also try and drop a few drops of gas into the cylinder and see if it will fire cycle a few strokes.

/ ----------------------- /

I sold a saw several months ago, and ran it the day before the buyer showed up. We pulled and pulled on it and nothing. I pulled the plug and it was dry. No gas. Apparently I had shut her off the day before, just as it was going empty. It happens.

Need fuel, compression, and spark at the correct time. You have eliminated part of the spark equation. Keep eliminating things till you find the problem

^^^ yes^^^ in order to differentiate between a fuel or spark issue you need to put a teaspoon of fuel in the carb and see if it pops. Refer to my first post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well finally got it running thankfully. Tried gas in the cylinder, would just burn it off and stop so it wasn't getting fuel. Checked the filter then pulled out the carb and the lines had fuel in them. Went to check the carb and one side looked fine and had fuel in it but the other side looked clean and no fuel. Not sure what was wrong but the guy I work with messed with the little valve(guess that's what it is) on the bottom inside the carb. It was stuck and popped and moved freely. Thinking that may have been the problem, put it all back together and it started.
IMG_2667.JPG

Well finally got it running thankfully. Tried gas in the cylinder, would just burn it off and stop so it wasn't getting fuel. Checked the filter then pulled out the carb and the lines had fuel in them. Went to check the carb and one side looked fine and had fuel in it but the other side looked clean and no fuel. Not sure what was wrong but the guy I work with messed with the little valve(guess that's what it is) on the bottom inside the carb. It was stuck and popped and moved freely. Thinking that may have been the problem, put it all back together and it started.
View attachment 541326
Damn, I guess you won't be sending the saw to me?

Glad you got it running!

Back