mud

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycledude232

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
who else is done cutting for a while? I had to call it quits today, could hardly get down the town road to the landing today to get my splitter and stuff today, let alone getting around in the woods. too much MUD!

Lower part of my property is unusably muddy as of today.

On top of the hill though it's pretty dry already -- just have one low spot that was muddy enough to matter. So I can cut there :) I do have to drive around the block but it's all paved. I think we're down well under 2 miles of town dirt roads, and IIRC they've gotten a grant to take care of the one major private dirt road in town and widen and pave it to town standards so it can be accepted by the town.

Slow motion super swamping

My new (to me) beast- JD 440B cable skidder- doesn't give a **** about the mud:clap: I still hate it though.

Took down 2 red oaks a maple and a cherry yesterday. The only way to haul anything out was with a small garden cart and ATV. After about trips we called it quits hauling out just way to much mud. Oh yeah the weather man says about 3 days of rain this week. Goody!:(

Went out cuttin' Friday because it was so nice.

Big mowed field the owner wants the fencerows cleared.

Almost got stuck with half a load in the truck, on dry level ground.

The ground has officially thawed, and now it's raining like a cow Peeing on a flat rock.

I'm done for a few days at least, and can't even get into my Blueberry patch to get started in there.

Good time to get some stuff done in the barn.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The loggers here brought all they could to the roadsides last week before their frozen dirt roads started to thaw. I scrambled to cut all I could while there was still snow to drag a sledfull of rounds on. I've got 2 dead Ash left to drop to finish my firewood stock for next year but they'll have to wait until I can get them out with the lawn tractor and cart after mud season.

Yup.done here for awile to tried today to get in w/snow still on the ground where i cant get later in the year & buried my f-350.p.m.o.

still got a couple feet of snow, but it rained all lastnight and you sink right through to the mud

"mud"

yea.my f-350 is going to require the use of a dozer to get it out my silvarado 1500 cant even wiggle it&its got at least a cord of wood on it.

Yesterday I split wood at the landing in just a flannel shirt. Ground was starting to thaw and it was starting to get wet and muddy although there was still a good 18" of snow laying in the woods. Today the wind is blowing big time and we are getting steady wet heavy snow. Typical Vermont weather for this time of year but it sure makes the arrival of Spring seem like it will never get here.

Maplemeister: :cheers:

who else is done cutting for a while? I had to call it quits today, could hardly get down the town road to the landing today to get my splitter and stuff today, let alone getting around in the woods. too much MUD!

Done cutting for a while?? I'm still waiting to start. All of this %#@*&!! snow this year made it almost impossible to get into the woods. When it wasnt snowing it was colder than a "cast iron jock strap". To top it all off, another winter storm is coming tomorrow morning and they are saying 8" to a foot of new snow, and back below zero for a day or two before the warm up comes to make it sloppy once again.

I cut Saturday and Sunday...lots of wind recently, little rain, everything pretty dry. If I can keep going at the rate I have been, I'll have most all I need for next winter done by the end of the month.

Done cutting for a while?? I'm still waiting to start. All of this %#@*&!! snow this year made it almost impossible to get into the woods. When it wasnt snowing it was colder than a
"cast iron jock strap"
. To top it all off, another winter storm is coming tomorrow morning and they are saying 8" to a foot of new snow, and back below zero for a day or two before the warm up comes to make it sloppy once again.

Gonna have to rep that... what a phrase! :cheers:

Still a foot+ of snow on the ground here by the shores of Lake Winni. Before this weekend, I'd gone a couple months without doing any cutting. Been doing my best to burn what's in the barn to make room for next year.

Mud season for me is when roadside gathering begins in earnest. All that stuff that fell or was cut down and concealed by snowbanks will be peeping through in the next month.

Yup,roadside woodboogerin's gonna kick into gear.

If yer driving by, feel free to wave. You'll know it's me by the red hair with woodchips and the truckfull of firewood. :laugh:

Went into the woods last Thrusday for a few hours to go get a few last loads out. After I started working, that's when all the water out in the fields adjcent to the woods I cut in started to go through that part of the woods. So now there is 2-6" of standing water/muck in the woods. I did get the permission of the landowner right next to the land I cut on to use his field road so I don't have to drive through all the standing water, but thats a soupy mess in spots too. (But I was able to possibly get one of his old woodhaulers he doesn't use any more for free!) So it looks like I'm done at least to the end of this month. And what do you know, MORE SNOW (and rain) forecasted for Tues. and Wensday! Oh Goody Goody Gumdrops!!!

we got plenty of mud. I have been filling the bucket of the backhoe w/ wood and pulling myself back out of the woods w/the backhoe, but the ruts are getting too deep, time to quit before the landowners tell me to get lost.

My new (to me) beast- JD 440B cable skidder- doesn't give a **** about the mud:clap: I still hate it though.

I have been cutting tops ,splits and twisted white oak at my friends logging site down the street and we had to shut down on sunday due to mud . I jokingly said what mud your skidder wont get stuck. But he told me there are laws in NH maybe else, where that you cant run the equipment in the woods in mud. He said the tree cops do flyovers all over the state and will come in and fine and shut the site down. too bad Ive grabbed about 10 cord over the last 2 weeks .and there is alot more to get. Next up NH black fly season....nuthin like runnin your saw with flys in every orafice on your body
MD

Latest posts

Back