Muffler ports.??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bro

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Would there be any reason why electrical conduit wouldn't work for an outlet pipe on my mufflers.?? If not, what should I use.??

Thanks.!!

BRO's iPhone

Most electrical conduit (EMT and Sch 40) is galvanized.
Galvanizing, when heated hot enough creates poisonous fumes.
The exhaust WILL heat the galvanizing enough to produce these fumes.
Stay away from using galvo ...........

Plumming supply will have SCH 40 Black iron ............. that wont harm ya

Home Depot also has a great selection of small round cold rolled iron tubing ..................

Galv tubing is crap for fabrication. Go to TSC, Lowes, or HD and look in their weldable steel assortment. Plenty of choices.

Most electrical conduit (EMT and Sch 40) is galvanized.
Galvanizing, when heated hot enough creates poisonous fumes.
The exhaust WILL heat the galvanizing enough to produce these fumes.
Stay away from using galvo ...........

Plumming supply will have SCH 40 Black iron ............. that wont harm ya

Home Depot also has a great selection of small round cold rolled iron tubing ..................

I wouldnt worry so much about the exhaust gasses, but the welding process.
Welding galvanized is bad bad bad.
Thats why I had someone else do it for me :D

Whilst it wasnt elec conduit, but zinc plated non the less, I used an interesting piece of material for my 2nd port on Christine.
Take an old white foam bodied Husqvarna fuel filter (like the 346 style) and cut it apart. Inside you'll find a nice little pc of
sched 10 pipe or conduit.....whatever it is?? Its used to weight the filter and works well as an exhaust port :D
I did however clean MOST of the zinc off before welding. You can see some of the burn-off.....its the white crap....

IMAG0858.jpg

IMAG0861.jpg

I wouldnt worry so much about the exhaust gasses, but the welding process.
Welding galvanized is bad bad bad.
Thats why I had someone else do it for me :D

Whilst it wasnt elec conduit, but zinc plated non the less, I used an interesting piece of material for my 2nd port on Christine.
Take an old white foam bodied Husqvarna fuel filter (like the 346 style) and cut it apart. Inside you'll find a nice little pc of
sched 10 pipe or conduit.....whatever it is?? Its used to weight the filter and works well as an exhaust port :D
I did however clean MOST of the zinc off before welding. You can see some of the burn-off.....its the white crap....

IMAG0858.jpg

IMAG0861.jpg

I was hoping to be able to braze it.. I'm new to this, so I may be way off.?

BRO's iPhone

:baffle:Ok, I learn stuff here....but it is always after the fact. Last week I muffler mod a Craftsman 3.4 with 1/2 inch electrical conduit straight out the front.....only to find out I will burn down the great woods unless I die from the toxic fumes first.:dazed:

Well at least it looks cool (to me) and sounds great:dunno:

:baffle:Ok, I learn stuff here....but it is always after the fact. Last week I muffler mod a Craftsman 3.4 with 1/2 inch electrical conduit straight out the front.....only to find out I will burn down the great woods unless I die from the toxic fumes first.:dazed:

Well at least it looks cool (to me) and sounds great:dunno:

Couldnt help but notice the empty kent shell on the goose foot.

Couldnt help but notice the empty kent shell on the goose foot.

My real passion has been hunting. We have a good deer, but the middle of Ohio presents some challenges for waterfowlers. Still love it. As Mom says, "Keeps me out of the pool hall".

As for copper pipe I would have thought brazing or soldering copper pipe, would not take the temps......sure would be easier to work with.

My real passion has been hunting. We have a good deer, but the middle of Ohio presents some challenges for waterfowlers. Still love it. As Mom says, "Keeps me out of the pool hall".

As for copper pipe I would have thought brazing or soldering copper pipe, would not take the temps......sure would be easier to work with.

It is my passion too but it was too warm here for any good hunting.

I know for a fact brazing will hold up. Mine has been holding for years.

If you must use galvo, grind it off first as you'll get a better weld. In my maintenance dept we fix up old bicycles for charity and give then to disadvantaged kids for Christmas. So I have a never ending supply of old bent bicycle handlebars to pick from. They work great as they are thin wall carbon steel w/ no galvanizing.

Lol I pulled the copper piping out of the milk house, we don't milk anymore and switched to beef so I got stuff to spare... I also used some stainless milker pipe for straight pipes on my truck.

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

Back