Muffs vs Ear plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anuvadave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i see alot of ppl are now starting to use earplugs.
I use the black peltor muffs (see profile pic) & i like them but i think id like to use plugs on prunes / thins when im only cutting every now & then. - are they effective with larger saws??
If anyone has used plugs please let me know how they compare
cheers

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here.

I like muffs when it's cold.

When it's hot, I prefer plugs. The molded soft plastic/rubber are uncomfortable after a couple of hours, do not release pressure changes very well and tend to "pop" a lot for me. The soft foam ones are very nice and I can leave them in all day with little discomfort.

Another thing, if I have dirty hands and get that on the plug, I usually end of with an ear infections(s).

I normally use Pura-Fit 6800 by Moldex, but I am impressed with the Howard Leight foam ear plugs.

i use the muffs in the cold also,,,other than that i use the plugs and run anything from a 200t down right to an 088,,,love the plugs

The main benefit of the muffs is that they are part of the combo, hardhat and facescreen. All there at once.

Personally I always liked the muffs/headphones much better. The ear plugs can get gross in a hurry although they are much cooler in the summer. the major downside I have with ear plugs is the fact they are inconvenient to take out really quick if you need to talk to someone. The with the muffs they just slide up real fast and back in a flash.

I agree pretty much with everyone else. the muff/visor combo is the way to go. The only thing I dont like is that the peltor system is a bear to get off of my petzl vertex vent when I want to put new stickers on it.

Kenn

Kind of surprised everyone missed this but muffs are much better for hearing protection. The reason being is that there are three bones in and around the ear drum that we actually hear with. Noise can still come through the bones with plugs but the muffs cover much of the ear and bones around it, thus it is a much beter option.

Kind of surprised everyone missed this but muffs are much better for hearing protection. The reason being is that there are three bones in and around the ear drum that we actually hear with. Noise can still come through the bones with plugs but the muffs cover much of the ear and bones around it, thus it is a much beter option.

Learn something new everyday, I didn't know that, it makes sense.

Learn something new everyday, I didn't know that, it makes sense.

I didnt know this either my wife is a Rn with a BS (Bachelors of Science) and she told me this when she first learned it to help better protect my hearing. I WAS a fan of plugs before this info now I dont mind the muffs one bit, you get used to them like anything else.

The only thing I dont like about muffs is that they press the arms of my saftey glasses into my skul right above my ear which can get annoying after a while.

Kenn

The only thing I dont like about muffs is that they press the arms of my saftey glasses into my skul right above my ear which can get annoying after a while.

Kenn

Looks like 90, or more decibels, will damage hearing if sustained over a period of time.

The Moldex plugs I normally use have a hearing reduction rating of 31 decibals.

Should put me in the safe zone.

My saw (441) 110 decibels
Minus 31 for plugs
79 decibels

Works for me.

Last edited:
Decibel (Loudness) Comparison Chart
Here are some interesting numbers, collected from a variety of sources, that help one to understand the volume levels of various sources and how they can affect our hearing.

Environmental Noise

Weakest sound heard 0dB
Normal conversation (3-5') 60-70dB
Telephone dial tone 80dB
City Traffic (inside car) 85dB
Train whistle at 500' 90dB
Subway train at 200' 95dB
Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss 90 - 95dB
Power mower 107dB
Power saw 110dB
Pain begins 125dB
Pneumatic riveter at 4' 125dB
Jet engine at 100' 140dB
Death of hearing tissue 180dB
Loudest sound possible 194dB

Kenn

I had this problem as well. Try using the glasses that curve at the end instead of going straight out. It helps more than you would think.

Any time muffs are used in conjunction with safety glasses...should be all of the time...the efficiency of the muffs is reduced by about 10%. Consider that when you pick out the attenuation level of the muffs.

After reading a lot about hearing protection I have never heard any concern about the vibration transmitted by the ear bones. I'm not saying that isn't a valid concern...just that it has never come up in any reading.

The best solution is plugs and muffs...or a handsaw :clap:

Kind of surprised everyone missed this but muffs are much better for hearing protection. The reason being is that there are three bones in and around the ear drum that we actually hear with. Noise can still come through the bones with plugs but the muffs cover much of the ear and bones around it, thus it is a much better option.

I'm not real sure but I think plugs are rated for more noise reduction than muffs. Need to check but the plugs hold out MORE sound out of the ears due to going in to the canal. The material that the plug is made of does not transfer the sound to the inner ear. Try to put a plug in one ear and the muff over the other one and see what is better. They do make ear plugs/ muffs at different noise reduction levels. It also makes a difference on how long you have noises above the 90 dba level.

I alway wear a hardhat with the muffs and facescreen. I don't have this problem, it may not look as cool as a rock climbing helmet and glasses, but it works, thousands of loggers can't be wrong.

Back