Mulberry tree limbs laying on ground

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janiealta

Reaction score
Our Mulberry tree limbs on one side started leaning and now two of the big limbs are almost all the way on the ground. What has happened? Is the tree dying? All the other limbs are standing tall and looking healthy. Any help would be appreciated.:help:

Post some pictures, give us a better time frame, did this happen over night? Is it gradually brushing the ground, or absolutely supporting it's weight from the ground? etc. It could be fruit weight pulling down, or bad branch structure. Mulberries are good urban trees, good leaf for shade, fruit for wildlife or people, and are really strong and resiliant.

I'm with reb, could be all they need is a little reduction pruning to get them to bounce back up.

Morus Spillane (Mickey's nephew)

mulberry tree limbs

Regarding my Mulberry tree limbs now laying on the ground. The tree is 25 years old and bears many many fruit each year. Some of the limbs were over our roof and over the power lines and my husband trimmed them back in June. The two huge limbs just started leaning about three weeks ago. We took pictures of the tree this morning and the tree limbs are all the way on the ground, in fact the largest one broke at the root. I am trying to figure out how to post my pictures but I haven't figured it out yet. Maybe this info will help. Thanks

After you click reply go down below the section where you enter your text and you'll see a box - Manage attachments. Click on it and you'll see a screen showing the different types of acceptable file types. At the top is a browse button. Click on it and go to the location of the photo in your hard drive and double click the photo. You should then be back at the "browse" page and your file (the entire file path) should appear in the box to the left. Click on "upload" and give it a few moments to download - the bigger the file, the longer the wait. I try to keep the file size under 200 KB for those on a dial up internet connection. When the file is loaded - you will see the name appear under "current attachments" on the browse page. "Current attachments" won't appear until the file is downloaded. Then click on "close this window" at the top of the page and you'll go back to your message page. Then click "submit" and it will be posted.

"the tree limbs are all the way on the ground, in fact the largest one broke at the root."

Consider propping?

Looks like a side trunk split off. Mine has done this too, I left it alone and it's dong fine. Yours needs mulch. See those bare spots ten feet or so from the trunk? Those could be covered with organic mulch to retain water and add trace nutrients. Also to keep those clumps of grass down. Next year get a proffessional to thin the other side. Make sure they use ANSI pruning standard, as many so called professionals do not.

rebelman said:
Next year get a proffessional to thin the other side.
I would not wait. Fruit is off, fine time to prune.

That whole thing does not look too stable. Can you take pix of the wound?

Latest posts

Back