Multimeter testing an ignition module...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
No spark on Husky 50 Rancher. Switch is good. Plug wire and plug are good. I assume the ignition module is bad. Using a multimeter, I see 0.3 ohms of resistance across the primary coil. From either side of the primary coil to the ground terminal reads 1.2 ohms. This same test (either side of primary to ground) on a known good module (Jonsey 2050) reads 215 ohms. I believe the module is bad. What say ye?

Last edited:
I agree the module is probably the culprit they are always the problem for me when a small engine wont spark.

I cant say about whether they can be tested by an ohm meter or not? I have my doubts but I dont work on small engines often but with cars they cant be measured reliably I can say that for sure.

The coil can fool you also they short inside and measure fine but wont spark. On a car we use a test light on the primary side of the coil and crank the engine and if the light flashes the module is working. hth

Kansas

Any good SE shops out there? My local guy would let me borrow a used coil to test. Last I checked, he had a row 4 or 5 of 50/51/55 saws there that I might be able to pilfer a used coil from. I bet you can find one closer to you though.

Any good SE shops out there? My local guy would let me borrow a used coil to test. Last I checked, he had a row 4 or 5 of 50/51/55 saws there that I might be able to pilfer a used coil from. I bet you can find one closer to you though.

B200, if you can get a used price from your local guy, I'd be very interested. My local sources were of no help. Thanks!

Back