Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
djg james

djg james

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
:lol:

Speaking of which, I went out to Will's today to scrounge the rest of the last log I was getting at, to find that someone else already had. I know Will lets one or two other blokes scrounge there. You snooze, you lose as they say.

Here was a small broad leaf peppermint nearby.

View attachment 1178539

I had suspicions that it might not be that good inside and I was right. Big termite pipe right up the guts.

View attachment 1178540

The pipes do fall out when you split the rounds so the wood you end up with is quite good, just a fair bit less of it.

View attachment 1178541

I made a nice pile for burning, even dragged the butt over to it. Will is happy for me to torch it when conditions are favorable, which might be Wednesday so I plan to do that and continue scrounging.

View attachment 1178542

Scrounge on :rock:
You started cutting on a log and someone else came by and finished it? Man I hate that. One other guy cuts in the same area I do and has done that to me in the past. I stay clear of the piles near his setup, but the consideration isn't mutual.

Are the termites long gone or are they still active? I hate cutting into a log that has ants. Start climbing all over you. Have to let the rounds set a week or two before splitting.

Cowboy254

Cowboy254

Compulsive scrounger
. AS Supporting Member.
You started cutting on a log and someone else came by and finished it? Man I hate that. One other guy cuts in the same area I do and has done that to me in the past. I stay clear of the piles near his setup, but the consideration isn't mutual.

Are the termites long gone or are they still active? I hate cutting into a log that has ants. Start climbing all over you. Have to let the rounds set a week or two before splitting.

Yep, but it's not the end of the world, I got the best of the log. If I was struggling for scrounge I'd be a bit less ok with it, but there's plenty more around. The termites were still in there. Once the pipe was split out, I'd bang the wood on another bit which would shake out most of them. This wood will be burned in the next couple of weeks so the rest will go then.

We have a meat ant nest on the property and they love termites. If I have really termitey wood I'll sometimes chuck it onto the ground next to the nest and they all come running out and pick out all the termites. I think the thump of the wood hitting the ground triggers a response in the ants as though a tree has come down. Dinner time!

bob kern

bob kern

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.

I like to cut a round off and throw it in at the chickens. Then just sit back and watch the show!

WoodAbuser

WoodAbuser

aka WoodchuckAbuser
Been going thru a rough couple of weeks here. On 4 May a partner in crime of almost 30 years went to be with the Lord. This past Saturday was the Viewing/Funeral, lunch and Graveside service. I sang this song acapella:

I used that as part of the eulogy I gave.
Heading to the kitchen now for some CIT. (Cast Iron Therapy) Have a good one all of you. I hope that the sorrows in your lives are few and far between.

Been going thru a rough couple of weeks here. On 4 May a partner in crime of almost 30 years went to be with the Lord. This past Saturday was the Viewing/Funeral, lunch and Graveside service. I sang this song acapella:

Heading to the kitchen now for some CIT. (Cast Iron Therapy) Have a good one all of you. I hope that the sorrows in your lives are few and far between.

Very sorry for your loss

Sunny 80 here today, I did manage to get the back garden trenches in. I'll be dropping flower bulbs in this trench,

Resized-20240519-142111-S.jpg

This makes it VERY easy to plant bulbs, potatoes or even to put plants in.

SR
We don't see eye to eye on a lot of things but I commend you for keeping busy aka keeping young.

With turnkey out of commission I think you are the elder of the group here now.

bob kern

bob kern

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
We don't see eye to eye on a lot of things but I commend you for keeping busy aka keeping young.

With turnkey out of commission I think you are the elder of the group here now.
One of the keys to happiness is learning how to still be friends with folks that have some different opinions. Good on you!!!!

MustangMike
Well, as Matt posted I was at the cabin this WE with my younger daughter and her family, and Matt came up Saturday to help us out!

We went on an adventure ride on the ATVs, planted 10 trees (Chestnut and Apple), got my 348 to shoot the 250 Barns Bullets well, and cut down a dead Ash tree and returned with 3 ATV trailers of rounds.

It was wet Saturday morning but got better after that. The pictures are from a neighbor's cabin.

Attachments

• IMG_20240518_161135041_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240518_161135041_HDR.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240518_161208516_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240518_161208516_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240518_161210500_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240518_161210500_HDR.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
MustangMike
As previously mentioned, I was unable to find bullets for my 348 Winchester for over 2 years, then the Barnes 250 grain came available and I purchased some (was previously loading 200 grain Hornady, which they have stopped selling).

They shoot in a different place, and I had to change the front sight 4 times to get the right height but still could not seem to get it sighted in right, so figured my load must not be shooting accurately.

Ended up going with a fiber optic front sight so I can see it well, but it does not work under the covered range at the Fish + Game Club! (My brother explained to me that Sunlight has a different light spectrum that activates the sight). So, I brought the 348 up to the cabin with 4 different loads for the 250-grain bullet.

I never thought of my 348 as being finicky, but as you can see from the attached targets (at 50 yards) only one of the loads shot well even though I could see that front sight clear as anything w/o the range cover (and it was a very overcast day).

I consider 9/16" from a lever gun with open sights (at 50 yds) to be excellent, but the other 3 loads (all over 3" at 50 yds) to be dismal! Now I just need to load up more of that load and make sure I have the sight adjusted properly for the load. 1/2" high at 50 yards should be right on at 100 yards and about 2.5" low at 150 yds ... after that I will not shoot with open sights!

Attachments

• 348Loads250GrBarnes05-18-2024.jpg
    348Loads250GrBarnes05-18-2024.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 348Loads250GrBarnes05-18-2024_001.jpg
    348Loads250GrBarnes05-18-2024_001.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 348Loads250GrBarnes05-18-2024_002.jpg
    348Loads250GrBarnes05-18-2024_002.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 348Loads250GrBarnes05-18-2024_003.jpg
    348Loads250GrBarnes05-18-2024_003.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 0

JimR

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member

Sorry for your loss.

Cowboy254

Cowboy254

Compulsive scrounger
. AS Supporting Member.

Very sorry to hear.

WoodAbuser

WoodAbuser

aka WoodchuckAbuser
Here is some of my CIT from this morning:
IMG_2925.jpg
IMG_2926.jpg
IMG_2927.jpg
Then I got this little guy from a friend. 6.5 inch skillet made in Taiwan, so just a cheepy.
Wasn't rusty, but the seasoning was fubar. Hot water and a SOS pad cleaned up most of it. Then took a green Scotchbrite to the last of the grime.
Seasoning consisted of a couple times on the stovetop then for @MechanicMatt I did it twice in the oven. Please put on ur sunglasses. I don't want to be responsible for any damaged retinas.
IMG_2929.jpg
IMG_2928.jpg
Hopefully svk will chime in and let me know if there is any hope for my cast iron seasoning undergrad degree.

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
Here is some of my CIT from this morning:
View attachment 1178697
View attachment 1178698
View attachment 1178699
Then I got this little guy from a friend. 6.5 inch skillet made in Taiwan, so just a cheepy.
Wasn't rusty, but the seasoning was fubar. Hot water and a SOS pad cleaned up most of it. Then took a green Scotchbrite to the last of the grime.
Seasoning consisted of a couple times on the stovetop then for @MechanicMatt I did it twice in the oven. Please put on ur sunglasses. I don't want to be responsible for any damaged retinas.
View attachment 1178701
View attachment 1178702
Hopefully svk will chime in and let me know if there is any hope for my cast iron seasoning undergrad degree.
:laughing:
FB_IMG_1716243933815.jpg

MustangMike
Had venison backstrap tonight for dinner ... grilled rare, just the way I like it! Served with Penne pasta, fresh broccoli and fresh carrots. In addition, the wife also made fresh beets. We eat healthy!

I should have taken some pictures; the color mix was great!

My part was grilling the venison, and of course I harvested it and butchered it (with some help from either my daughter or my wife). They usually bag and label the bags.

Latest posts