Murphy's Law: Who Is In Charge of Your Woodpile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbonaut

Go Climb It
Reaction score
Part of Murphy's Law states: Look unimportant, the enemy may be low on ammo.
I don't mind going out on a limb to take one for the team. Leaders are used to drawing fire. You don't expect others to go out and draw lines in the sand.
I graduated from the University of Illinois Extension Master Gardener Program twelve years ago. Disease was the fourth week, insects the fifth. You had some of this in school. If you don't have a strong background in this type of thing, don't come here to debate based on generalization. When you approach a master, be specific. If you have anything negative to say at this point, please feel free to start your own thread.
In the Disease Triangle four things are required. If one of these factors is missing, it is likely a disease will not occur. One is a susceptible host. In this thread, we will consider a primary source of firewood, the Ash Tree to be a susceptible host. Second you need a pathogen which is referred to as a causual agent because it causes the problem. We'll address the European Emerald Ash Borer Beetle as the primary causual agent-the pathogen in this example. Third, you need a favorable environment. This environment is your woods and mine, especially infected trees and wood on the forest floor combined with warm temperatures and moisture. And the fourth part of the equation is time.
In the Illinois Master Gardener Manual, the first and most effective recommendation for the control of an insect pest is mechanical control. This is physical removal. The trolls are gonna try to eat this one alive, but let's compare this to getting moles out of your lawn. The only way you can do it for sure, is to catch them and kill them. No more moles. With the EAB Beetle, my suggestion follows this professional integrated pest management philosophy-destroy as much of the disease causing organism as you can. Burn it in your furnace before it matures.
My opponents in this don't recommend destroying the already present pathogenic causual agent. They recommend controlling it by providing it with the other three parts of the Disease Triangle; 1. A susceptible host. 2. A favorable environment. And probably most important 3. Time.

Congratulations, WCTV! You have been appointed, as the ONLY expert on here capable of such, as the Official Illinois Beetle Catcher (OIBC I will from now on refer to you as Mr. OIBC, Sir!). Your sworn mission is to catch and kill each and every Emerald Ash Borer beetle in the state of IL.

We here at ArboristSite wish you luck.

That's Better.

Congratulations, WCTV! You have been appointed, as the ONLY expert on here capable of such, as the Official Illinois Beetle Catcher (OIBC I will from now on refer to you as Mr. OIBC, Sir!). Your sworn mission is to catch and kill each and every Emerald Ash Borer beetle in the state of IL.

We here at ArboristSite wish you luck.

You should put more clothes on, Stevie.

So I cut down the tree and burn it right away? Doesn't firewood need a year-or that fourth side in your triangle, time-or so to season? Does the beetle in your magic kingdom sleep once you cut down the tree, only to be awakened by movement or heat from the furnace?
I agree the best way to contain the pest is to limit its time on earth, but I wouldn't burn my house down trying to eradicate it.

Nice Fish Crappie Keith.

You guys are cracking me up. Don't punish me my side is splitting open. This is better than George Carlin. I'm glad you are burning some beetles, Crappie Keith. That one lady wants me to go catch them by hand.

Owb

So I cut down the tree and burn it right away? Doesn't firewood need a year-or that fourth side in your triangle, time-or so to season? Does the beetle in your magic kingdom sleep once you cut down the tree, only to be awakened by movement or heat from the furnace?
I agree the best way to contain the pest is to limit its time on earth, but I wouldn't burn my house down trying to eradicate it.

If you're worried about your house, check with your insurance agent. They probably have a department to come inspect your setup. We burn wood faster than that because in the Magic Kingdom, it's how we heat our homes.

Visit the Famous Lincoln Memorial.

Well, maybe a triangle does have four sides in Illinois...
After-all, it's the only state I know of that gives their past Governors a state job making License Plates. :msp_w00t:

Illinois is also the State that gave you your two favorite Presidents, Spider. Like I said, moving to Minnesota. Where the triangle has three sides.

Last edited:
I think we're witnessing the intersection of "too much free time" and "self proclaimed expert".

I'm glad you are burning some beetles, Crappie Keith. That one lady wants me to go catch them by hand.

I ain't burning them...heck no...and I do catch them by hand...best dang bait for fish'n I ever did see cept when we used to toss dupont spinners.
Problem was though with them spinners....you'd have fish layin all over the place...and some not all in one piece.Plus them dang spinner were loud...fishers would get clued into all of our honey holes....fire in the hole!!!!!!

Last edited:
The majority of what you wrote was what's called an "appeal to authority", an arrogant statement that because you're a "Master" that no one is qualified to argue with you.

The rest is an attempt to rephrase the position you took in your first post, which was that transporting the pest is irrelevant, and to pretend you're doing something beneficial by burning it. Obviously if you are transporting from one place that is infested to another place that is infested it makes no difference. Equally obviously, if you are transporting it to a place that isn't infested you risk spreading it faster.

Your contributions in burning the EAB in your stove are as effective as pissing in the ocean. The EAB will spread to the limits of its habitable range in time anyway, but if you transport it out of the currently infested area you may be accelerating that process.

Master Gardener programs are a great idea, but 11 classes and some volunteer work hardly make you the voice of authority nor justify your reckless behavior.

I think we're witnessing the intersection of "too much free time" and "self proclaimed expert".

No, he has passed that corner, and on a one way dead end street now. Its easy to follow him, just look for the creosote coming from the exhaust stack.

"I Think."

The first two words you said were the most important ones. If they are true words, then move some wood or BOHICA. If you are willing to debate that, you are being controlled. I believe in kindness for all things to a point. Killing insects in my furnace doesn't hurt my conscience, but seeing Americans be controlled does.

Illinois is also the State that gave you your two favorite Presidents, Spider. Like I said, moving to Minnesota. Where the triangle has three sides.

Our entrance exam will stop you at the border. The first question will leave you stumped: Name___________.

And leave your firewood, please; you will need it after you are sent back to the magic kingdom.

Fish Bait, a Whole New Plan!

I ain't burning them...heck no...and I do catch them by hand...best dang bait for fish'n I ever did see cept when we used to toss dupont spinners.
Problem was though with them spinners....you'd have fish layin all over the place...and some not all in one piece.Plus them dang spinner were loud...fishers would get clued into all of our honey holes....fire in the hole!!!!!!

That exotic stuff always slays the Redears when we're ice fishin'. Beetles are natural. Some of these people like the woman in the red white and blue bikini that made the first reply, probably end up convincing me to let the EAB live. I'm starting to have kindness in my heart again.

Off the Ignore List.

The majority of what you wrote was what's called an "appeal to authority", an arrogant statement that because you're a "Master" that no one is qualified to argue with you.

The rest is an attempt to rephrase the position you took in your first post, which was that transporting the pest is irrelevant, and to pretend you're doing something beneficial by burning it. Obviously if you are transporting from one place that is infested to another place that is infested it makes no difference. Equally obviously, if you are transporting it to a place that isn't infested you risk spreading it faster.

Your contributions in burning the EAB in your stove are as effective as pissing in the ocean. The EAB will spread to the limits of its habitable range in time anyway, but if you transport it out of the currently infested area you may be accelerating that process.

Master Gardener programs are a great idea, but 11 classes and some volunteer work hardly make you the voice of authority nor justify your reckless behavior.

Thanks, Warrior. I'm glad you're back. I was raised by Masters of Negativity. If you haven't noticed by now that I have indomitable spirit from years of discipline, you'll continue to fail recognize it. Makes you an interesting participant after all. How do you and Golgar get by with cussing like that? I want to try.

Latest posts

Back