Musty spelling wood Mould????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJH

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Guys ! For the past two years I have been cutting wood primarly douglas fir for building a house!It was stickered and tarped in my back yard for the last year and a half,I have now come to use it and found that the tarp had been leaking and there apears to be mold on some of the wood especialy the sap wood, some white and some black stains!Do you guys know of anything that I could spray on this stuff to kill the mold so A guy can safley build with it!?My concern is the 2x6 and 2x10s I.m going to use in the walls and floor and 2x4 , the interior wood ,the straping and stuff on the roof will not be an issue I don't think.Would bleach do the job??

any advice??
Thanx
fred

10% bleach solution is what we used when dealing with mold when I did remodeling, not sure if it has any effect on te wood though.

Sunlight will kill mold. If you could possibly set the wood out in the sun for a while the mold will die.

Just another idea.

Jerry C

Vinegar or bleach should kill the mold; however if the wood is dried out and kept/used in a dry environment the mold will die and stop spreading since it needs the moisture in the wood to feed off of. The only danger with using moldy boards that haven't been treated to kill the mold is that it can sometimes come back to life and continue spreading if the wood is once again exposed to a humid environment.

Oxalic acid will get rid of all but the most stubborn of the greenish-black stains left in the wood by the mold fungus. This stuff is available in many commercial forms for cleaning wood decks and patios etc. (like Thompson's Water Seal cleaner solution) but it's cheaper if you can find just bulk Oxalic Acid, since that's pretty much all that's in the commercial products anyway. Leave it on the wood for a few minutes, then wash it off. Repeat if necessary. Just don't apply the acid and then leave it without rinsing - its oxidizing properties can speed up the weathering process and age the wood faster.

Brad !Where would I buy this Oxalic Acid, it sounds like the thing to do in this case I would like the wood to look less blackened before using it as well !painting this stuff on and preasure washing it off would seem to be easy enough done!

Thanx
Fred

When I worked in the production mill, we sprayed a fungicide on the wood. This can be done with a garden sprayer and it does not need to be washed off. One less step.

When I worked in the production mill, we sprayed a fungicide on the wood. This can be done with a garden sprayer and it does not need to be washed off. One less step.

Backwoods What fungicide was it ?
As For this first batch I,m going to try bleach first then preasure wash the boards as I have used some of them for forming the foundation walls!I will be stripping the walls this week end but before i do ,Im going peal off the stud frame work and spray beach on the exposed boards and preasure wash em to see how they come out We'll see how it goes!!If the bleach don't do the job I will hunt down some Oxalic Acid that was sugested in the earlier post and try that from what I have read the acid works better for rust stains!

Last edited:
Brad !Where would I buy this Oxalic Acid, it sounds like the thing to do in this case I would like the wood to look less blackened before using it as well !painting this stuff on and preasure washing it off would seem to be easy enough done!

Thanx
Fred

Well I can't really direct you to a bulk source since I've never really looked into it, but this is the type of product to look for:

http://www.realmilkpaint.com/oxalic-acid-bleach.html

The stuff I bought last year to do my deck was from the Thompson's Water Seal line of products. It worked fairly well, though it isn't the cheapest stuff.

Back