My 026 won't spark Suggestions???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happyjack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When I put my 026 away she was running fine. I went to start her up today and no go. :cry: I dumped the old fuel mix (that had stabil in it) and put fresh mix in it.

I pulled the plug and grounded it against the jug with the master control lever in the run position. No spark

I put in a brand new plug Bosh WSR6F, and did the same thing. No spark. The new plug was slightly wet with gas, so It's getting gas as far as I know.

All I can think of is the ignition module is bad. I just wanted to get a few ideas before I bring it to the dealer. Do the ignition modules have a life time warranty?

Lifetime warraty on the module depending on date and proof of purchase (warranty only to the original owner).

The 026's sold in Canada have a lifetime warranty on the ignition, I am assuming only that it is the same in the states. I can think of 2 things quickly that could also be happening, a faulty switch and a flywheel problem.

Thanks sedanman. I am the original owner. I'll bring it in. Do you see this problem happen often on the 026?

Ignition modules in general have a very low failure rate, kinda why they are offered with a lofetime warrany. The manufacturer is betting they won't have to honor it much.

Lifetime warranty. Period. First, isolate the coil and try again. Any chance of the primary being shorted to ground via switch, worn insulation or otherwise, will be eliminated.Cheers.

Pull the pull cord cover and take a look at the flywheel and see if its corroded or if its making contact with the coil, instead having a small air gap between the two. Then take an ohm meter while its off and check the wire between the coil and the shut off switch. If its open, you got a bad wire. Also, remove the air filter cover, and look at that spring behind the cut off switch, sometimes it jumps up over and makes contact with the switch when its in the run position and shorting it out. Can be retensioned if thats the case.

Simonizer, You are in Canada, the saw is in CT, USA. Stihl has different rules in Canada and the U.S. You are out of place to quote U.S. warranty policy. You are not the only Stihl service tech on this board.

Yea, I am studying to uprade to chrome level tech.

Also, make sure the spring terminal has not pulled out of the spark plug wire.

If it is the module, I used a $13.99 aftermarket module on an 031 that worked fine.
I don't know what Stihl charges for 'em.
-Bob

Most Stihl products have a lifetime warranty on the ign coil since the mid 90's. Past the regular warranty you do have to pay labor.

See a good number of failures on blowers using the slope advance coils but not many other products. The blowers have a problem cause by air flow static electricity that plays havoc on the electronics. Exception is the TS-400 which I've replaced 5 or 6 on this year and they can't blame air flow static on them since they're basically chain saw type engines.

module

026 should have a lifetime module warranty. If dealer won't do it, call Stihl.
260 may have either lifetime or 5 year. Serial number will tell. This is original owner only, sorry.

As far as diagnosis: check wiring for shorts or breaks. Plug wire also. Make sure switch is not shorted. An ohmmeter is a must.
remove module screws and look for corrosion. Sometimes a little tighten will help.

Anew plug is recommended, even though they never go bad, so I am told. :p

If that doesn't cure it, get a module. If you can't afford new, there are many good used modules out there. The same module will fit many Stihl models.

Hope this helps.

I really appreciate all your help to thoes who responded, it was great info! Here is how it ended up.

I checked for visable breaks in the ignition wiring and found none. Then I brought my saw into the dealer and told them I had no spark. I said I suspected it was the ignition module, but I didn't have the tool to test it. They called me up on the phone a few days later, and told me the Ignition Module was bad. Then proceeded to tell me the part is $118.00 for the ignition module and $45 for the diagnosis fee.

After that, I called Stihl and gave the the serial # on the saw. Like Sedanman said, "the ignition module is covered." I'll have to educate my dealer when I go to pick my saw up this weekend. I wonder if they knew and were trying to double dip. Charge m, and also charge Stihl for the warranty work.

I would think a Stihl dealer would know their warranty policy inside and out.

Latest posts

Back