My 044 -> 046BB rebuild worklog

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow!

Beautiful.

I like the idea of the repainted case and tanks.

again, beautiful work and saw.

I have dreamed about that very thing on my 044, but I doubt I could make it happen anytime soon!

I sit in awe!

:bowdown: Martinm210

I have done a rebuild cleanup close to this, the paint i used started chipping away around the fuel tank opening, how has yours held up? did you use a clearcoat on the paint?

Repaint my 044

I know your busy and probably get alot of messages with this awesome post. I was wondering if you used a clearcoat on the finished paintwork and how is it holding up? Did you bake it? I would like to make my 044 look nice again. I dont have a sandblaster but i could sand it and hopefully get some good results. Thanx Rocco

Hi. New to the site but just read the work log you did and it's amazing. I was considering starting my own project. Just wandering what you all thought would be a decent price for a parts saw and how much money you had in your rebuild

Apologizes for bumping such an old thread, but I just completed this conversion on an MS440, and thought some of you would like to see one of these conversions running. This video is immediately after I got the carb tuned. For reference the slab being cut is cypress, it's a 25" bar, Stihl RM Chain, and 9 tooth rim. Many thanks to the OP and all who contributed to this thread, I had it printed and it was an invaluable reference.

Here is the link: MS440 Big Bore 54mm - YouTube

Did we ever see a total cost figure on this project?

I realize this thread is nearly as old as I am but some great info and photos here-be great to have one of the regulars chime in with an educated guesstimate of total investment in today's 2012 "dollars" in this rebuild if the OP has croaked or fled the country...

I can tell you mine cost about $170. This includes shop supplies and a few new tools. All I really needed was the BB kit, a cheep ring compressor kit, shop towels soaked in bar oil to keep the shavings out of the crank case, and some dremel sanding drums. I did not need to do the full rebuild as described in this worklog on my saw, so it was not much more than just replacing the cylinder. My original cylinder was not too bad, so I could have got away with less than $50 for rings and a piston, but I wanted to try this.

this old thread got me into restoring my first saw when i first joined this site ,044 10mm ,does the op still post ? did a great job on this one ,love the step by step information

Latest posts

Back