026 rebuild - Worth proceeding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagacea

Reaction score
I picked up a couple of 026 carcasses at an estate sale a while back. One was an incomplete parts saw, and the other was a complete saw, but had taken a beating and had a broken case (oil tank) and rear handle. This saw still has good compression, so I figured I'd swap some parts around and make one from 2. This evening I got around to splitting the case on the parts saw, and found a bunch of scoring in the bottom of the crank case on the side I need. This is the most in depth rebuild I've done, so I don't want to be wasting my time (or money) moving forward if this is going to be a problem. I don't think it will be, as the crank really shouldn't be coming into contact with this surface I believe. Would you more experienced builders let me know if it's worth proceeding? Should i get in there with some high grit sand paper, or a honing stone to try to smooth it out a bit, I don't think removing the powder coating will be an issue either. Photo below. (yes the bearings will also be replaced if I proceed)

IMG_5608.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5609.jpg
    IMG_5609.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Looks like the piston skirt broke allowing for the damage you see happen. I wouldn't worry about the dings too much, I've had good luck just cleaning up any high spots and putting things back together. I would make sure that your crank is not going to touch the case and its probably ok. Just make sure you look really close for any cracks in the case. A dremel tool or needle file should clean it up nicely.

If it was me I would pop those bearings out, run the case through the dishwasher, put new bearings in it and just start over. If you have a good crank and cylinder, you can buy a piston, maybe a new carb, and some of the other stuff, intake boot impulse line, whatever and have a basically new saw. For what, $100 or less.

Thats more or less my plan. Brought the case halves to a car wash and cleaned them up well. Waiting for new gaskets, bearings and oil seals. I plan to smooth out that case surface a bit, and then use this case on the other saw that looks like it got squished pretty bad, and had a damaged case/handles. Thanks for the reply.

Back