my 066 wont cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be that 77" is too much bar for an 066. Never thought I'd hear of someone with too much bar on an 066, but I guess I did. sounds like you need an 088 if you're using a 77" bar.

Can you offer up a little more information? It's like saying my car won't start, so what's the matter? I mean is the chain stopping in the cut, the engine bogging down...what's happening? It was working fine until you slapped on the larger bar?

Okey dokey! First an 041 with an 048 piston,quite a feat to say the least on that one.Now an 066 with a 6 ft 5 inch bar,another real interesting and rather uncommon occurance,I might say.I doubt seriously that these two feats have been duplicated any where on the planet Earth.What other interesting items would be tucked away in the saw shed?

I don't think I would try that large of bar on the Poulan,perhaps a 48" would work a bit better,but best to drop one tooth from the .404 sprocket. :)

Perhaps if he went to full skip chain with high rakers it would work? :)

Mac 110 with 59" Stihl bar

We actually cut with this set up. Will be demonstrating this weekend at Ashland. Can't push too hard, but it does cut. I am using 3/8 Chisel. Most people look and say that the motor will not pull the chain. They walk away smiling after the cut. Lots of fun.

My wife says this is a Two-Woman saw. Later, Larry

I can't imagine a need for a 6.5ft bar unless you are cuttin one hell of a tree atleast over 8 ft dia and that would still be a bit much. If the chain is sharp the bar is good and he saw runs good with no bar/a reasnoble sized one it is just to big, but we already knew that right!

gypo has an 088 with a 6 inch bar that might pull the big wood....or did he send that to Ed to build a pipe so it would run on hash....

Dam if I recall....hey, pass the bowl would ya :dizzy:

My 66 wont cut
my 77 inch chain is sharp
working order great

Well, it's not Haiku

maybe you have a 58 gauge bar with 63 guage chain it will run out of the wood but when you push down it will bind and stop

Stihl 041 super said:
My 066 wont cut and I dont know why my 77 inch chain is sharp the 77 inch bar is in good working order runs great whats the problem?

The chain's on backwards. :)

I'm gonna go with...why are you running a 77" bar on a 066? That's 3120xp-MS880 territory friend. Got no ideas without some more input on the issue.

You SURE the chain is sharp? I took my chain in, had it sharpened, and it was no better than BEFORE I spent my 4 bucks. The guy had completely ignored the rakers (those vertical "fin" things between the chisels). It was the last time I had anyone else sharpen my chain.

You said you have a 77" CHAIN... did you mean to say that? Or did you mean BAR? If you meant BAR, then all I have to say is "GADZOOKS!"

this just smells like BULL to me, a 77" bar on an 066? of COUSRE its not going to do a ???? thing.. neither the saw or the oiler is gonna do that.. sheesh..
if you even THINK of a bar that big (and its probly a 72) you best have a GOOD 084 or 088.. or the legendary 090.. something big.. you cant feed an ego that big with an 066.. this is just too much.. i should run a special on heavy duty shovels and hip waders.. i smell profit here!

Back