My 1-saw plan just became a 2-saw plan...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEATSAW

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well for the last 8 months or so I've been doing just fine and dandy (resisting CAD) with my 1-saw plan. My 028 Super was perfect for what I have needed: mainly cedar clearing and firewood. A few months ago I was out getting a load and having to cut down some large red oaks. I was able to get through it but did notice (I tried to suppress it) that clearly a 50cc saw can't do everything. Fast forward to now and with cooler temperatures I plan to start getting out more regular to get firewood. It happened in less than 3 days. The more I thought about it the faster the CAD took control.

So I just purchased a Homelite XL-924. I could have saved a couple more weeks for something brand new, but I feel drawn to the older saws. I look forward to receiving it in the mail. Its just the powerhead only. What do you guys suggest for a bar & chain? I will be running an 18" (seldom a 20") on my 028 -- perhaps a 24 or 28" on the 924? Also how easy is it to swap to the Oregon rim sprocket drive?

This is going to be fun because I know my way around a Stihl (that's all we have at my work) but I have never touched a Homelite before. I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions. Oh and there will be pictures as soon as I get this beast!

So what do you think of my 2-saw plan? I like to think of it as a 1970 Chevelle and a 1985 Porsche. With one its big, heavy, American power with slow rpms. And the other is lighter, smaller, German with high rpms. I think they compliment each other nicely!

You're like the guy in the zombie movie who has a tiny little nick but he notices zombie spit in it. He knows he is doomed but he hides the truth from everyone thinking maybe he is the one guy who has the resistance. Nope, you're done for. That 2012 ZL-1 Camaro would sure be nice to own and sit in the driveway. Well since that is too pricey how about a new MS461 with a lightweight bar?

One day I am sure I will find some way to convince myself that I need a 20-saw plan. Getting there!

Good move on getting the big Homie.
Thanks, I can't wait to get the beast and start it up!

So I know this got buried quickly but anyone have thoughts/opinions on a good B&C? At Bailey's they have the 28" Oregon combo but the chain is a skip. Or I could go with a 24" full comp. Not sure what to do.

Back