My 1st real chainsaw repair...!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
And it was a success:clap: I have a little Echo that I haven't been able to start ever since I bought it off craigslist about 6 months ago. Everyone seemed to think the carb was the problem so I bought a rebuild kit for $10 and put it in having never done anything like that before. Well the old diaphragm was pretty rigid and there was a thick oil like substance covering everything that I assume was old gas!? So after cleaning everything up real good and installing all the new parts I said a little prayer and went outside to try and fire it up. After 7 or 8 pulls it tried to start and finally the little guy roared to life and boy was I a happy camper!! For such a small saw it packs a big punch and now I have another contributing member of the arsenal! I know this is nothing for a lot of you seasoned fellas but this was totally new for me and now I have the confidence to try more involved repairs should the need arise. Very nice saw with a metal body and very few plastic parts.

And it was a success:clap: I have a little Echo that I haven't been able to start ever since I bought it off craigslist about 6 months ago. Everyone seemed to think the carb was the problem so I bought a rebuild kit for $10 and put it in having never done anything like that before. Well the old diaphragm was pretty rigid and there was a thick oil like substance covering everything that I assume was old gas!? So after cleaning everything up real good and installing all the new parts I said a little prayer and went outside to try and fire it up. After 7 or 8 pulls it tried to start and finally the little guy roared to life and boy was I a happy camper!! For such a small saw it packs a big punch and now I have another contributing member of the arsenal! I know this is nothing for a lot of you seasoned fellas but this was totally new for me and now I have the confidence to try more involved repairs should the need arise. Very nice saw with a metal body and very few plastic parts.

Well I just gotta rep you for getting your first repair under your belt!

Good job on getting in there and fixing the problem.

Even a carb rebuild can be a challenge and it's good to hear that you met your first challenge successfully. Each time I get into a saw it builds up my experience and therefore my confidence to go a bit farther.

:cheers:

My Echo

What model number is yours? Here's my CS 3900 that I bought in 1996:
Echo3900.jpg

Runs perfectly today and practically no maintenance required. Fantastic compression. I clean the air filter after each major cutting session. That's about it. So far its delivered about 90 cords to the splitter. Not bad for a "limbing" saw. :greenchainsaw:

Very nice!!! Great to hear it all worked out for you.

Thanks Chris...

Well I just gotta rep you for getting your first repair under your belt!

Good job on getting in there and fixing the problem.

Even a carb rebuild can be a challenge and it's good to hear that you met your first challenge successfully. Each time I get into a saw it builds up my experience and therefore my confidence to go a bit farther.

:cheers:

Seems there's always something to learn if you're willing to try. I'm sure I saved a nice little chunk by doing it myself. Being patient helps a whole lot too!!

Congrats!No better feeling that fixing stuff yourself, nothing more disturbing than having to take it somewhere to be fixed.
Good Job!

Good job it's always rewarding to fix something yourself. Now you're gonna want to rebuild one.lol

Absolutely!!!:chainsaw:

Congrats!No better feeling that fixing stuff yourself, nothing more disturbing than having to take it somewhere to be fixed.
Good Job!

I'm beginning to feel that way too. As long as I have the right tools and a clear understanding of what to do then I'll try it. Reading books, watching videos and asking questions on forums like this one really help a lot!!

Back