My 28 ton speeco log splitter ordeal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what you discribed the pump is not the problem. The pump has two sections, the first section has a bypass but the second section does not. The second section pumps fluid all the time. If pressure fails to build in the system the first thing to check for is a missing key in the lovejoy coupling causing slipage between engine and pump.
Next would be a misadjusted relief in the control valve.
Least likely would be a damaged seal in the cylinder.

I checked the coupling and everything was there. Speeco did not think it was the pump. Makes sense if it works like you describe. Not a whole lot else on these things so either the control valve or cylinder, which should be replaced in that order.

Steve nw wi, I hope my post did not come off as a rant. I am simply posting my experience with this splitter and trying to remain neutral in my tone. I am simply letting others know about this so they can make a better, more informed decision in the purchase of a log splitter. Knowledge is inexhaustible. 1700 is a lot of money to me.

And just for full disclosure, I contacted s&w feed supply in Carson. It was going to be about 200 more for the splitter plus tax of 150. They do not stock any splitters as they are a feed suppy store. They are a speeco dealer for their farm implements. They could have ordered one for me but it was going to take longer to get it than from omni. And s&w is not a service center. So I would pay 350 more, have to drive 45 minutes to Carson to pick it up (mountain roads), and would take about a week longer to get. And if that splitter was broke, there is a chance I would be taking it to Reno for repair. It was easier to have it delivered to my door.

One last comment. Put the matter in dispute with your credit card company if you used a CC on the purchase. Nothing gets attention faster from a retailer if they aren't getting paid.

I bought my 35ton speeco from Rock as well, and he was a good guy to deal with.I have no complaints. But here is the deal. Buying a splitter online or over the phone is much like buying a car from your local dealer.Once you buy it, its yours. A car dealer doesnt care nor does he have a way of dealing with a car once its purchased in the event something goes wrong beyond repairing the defect. You could buy a new truck or car, pull out of the lot, and have the engine seize.Will they give you a new one?Hell no. They will repair the vehicle under warranty.

But buying a splitter you are more or less opening an agreement with the manufacturer that in the event something goes wrong you are to take it to the nearest facility for repair, and it matters not to Speeco that you live out in the sticks.

What I would like to see is Speeco open an agreement with their repair facilities that they would send out a guy in a truck to repair your splitter on site. After all, a splitter is a fairly simple machine with only a few moving parts.It would be a no brainer to send out a guy in truck with a control valve, a few hoses, a pump, a new engine, and a toolbox and he should be able to fix any problem that the unit is displaying.It would save the customer the aggravation of transporting the unit, speed up the repair process, and would probably really make the company stand out in the customer service area.

Yeah, I would be pretty pissed myself if I dropped 2K on a machine and it didnt even work right out of the box, but I reckon that is the chance you take when buying online.It sucks, but its reality.

By the way, dont even think about a Troybilt unless you really want a potential headache on your hands.

Avalancher, good point. And I was not really thinking if buying a Troy built. It was just an example of the buy local mentality. It's just in my area, there are not a lot of options to buy from a dealer who stocks splitters. But every time I go into lowes that Troy built is sitting there.

Avalancher, good point. And I was not really thinking if buying a Troy built. It was just an example of the buy local mentality. It's just in my area, there are not a lot of options to buy from a dealer who stocks splitters. But every time I go into lowes that Troy built is sitting there.

I have the same situation here, not a lot of options when it comes to buying local. We do have a TSC 20 miles from the house, but their customer service is rotten. I bought a Warn winch there, used it twice, and the thing locked up.Back to the store I went with the winch and receipt in hand, and the manager acted like I showed up in a dress and was asking for his daughters hand in marriage. So when it came to a splitter, I opted for the Troybilt from Lowes and two years later regretted my decision when the cylinder split open under pressure, soaked me down with hydraulic fluid, and gave me a good reason to head to the house and change my shorts while wondering how in the hell I left the house with brown hair and came back totally gray along with a permanent nervous twitch every time I hear a loud BANG.

You bought a good machine, Speeco builds some good splitters but you might have gotten one that was assembled by a dyslexic midget whacked out on cheap cough syrup on a Friday afternoon, and things happen. Sucks to have to travel that far to get it fixed, but hopefully they will make it right for you. There is a Speeco rep around here and I will dig up his contact info for you and post it. He has been very good in speeding up things for guys around here, and seems like a good guy to deal with, and possibly may have more clout to make things happen for you.

This diagram shows what the pump would look like on a complete hydraulic schematic. The unloading valve is on the right side of the print. Lets say we adjusted it to open at 600psi. When the output pressure of the pump reaches 600psi. The unloading valve will open, the Hi-Vol (High-Volume) side of the pump will, at this point, pump it's oil back to the inlet side of the pump. Besides being spring loaded, the check valve will also be forced closed by the Hi-psi (high-pressure) side of the pump. Pressure at the output of the pump will continue to build until the wood splits. We all start dancing in the streets, and it's a joyous time for all. But, if the check valve sticks open, or, if it gets a piece of something stuck under it. The output of the pump will reach 600psi, the unloading valve will open, the Hi-Vol pump will pump its oil though the unloading valve back to the supply side of the pump, the Hi-psi side will pump it's oil though the stuck open check valve, though the unloading valve to the supply side of the pump. The maximum psi will only go to 600psi, the wood won't split, we all go home and cry in our porridge. And thats the story of how the pump works and what might be wrong with the splitter.

Guess I don't know how to add the picture

View attachment 218445

Last edited:
Sometimes the cheapest price isn't the best deal in the end. I bought the cheapest one I could find and took a chance. So far it's working good and when it does go boom, I will get the welder out and patch it up or buy and replace whatever needs replaced. I very seldom buy anything for warranty, never have and never expect warranty to mean much. I look stuff over , read reviews and look it over before I buy it. Unfortunately most of this type of stuff you can't try it before you buy it. Hopefully it works new out of the box but if it doesn't you better be prepared to scream loud right away. The squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Kevin Greer is his name Avalancher.

Thanks for that, I have been scratching my head for the last hour trying to remember his name.

OP, give this a try....

Kevin Greer is a Speeco rep, and he hangs out here once in awhile. His email address is [email protected], you can call him at 800-525-8322 ext. 1147, and his AS username is
kgreer. Here is his profile, send him a PM or an email and I am sure he can help you out

http://www.arboristsite.com/member.php?u=29444

Firewood guy, that really sucks. Hope you replace that Briggs with a Honda.

Funnier than that, We put a Harbor Freight import engine on the thing, replaced all the hydraulic lines, hyd filter assy, of course the hyd fluid, had to replace one of the tires cause it melted. Between the down time and the cost to fix that POS it's about $600.00 in parts alone, and Speeco thought it was OK to just ignore there warranty policy?? That is one company that I'd like to see go BK cause they don't give a rats ass after they make there cash.

George g, thanks for the diagram and the description. Really helps to bring it all together.

Avalancher, I can't imagine what that would have been like. I was at lowes today and took a good look at the Troy built. Does not seem like a quality machine.

Firewood guy, some of that harbor freight stuff is not that bad, as long as you don't mind beefing it up and turning a few non pittsburgh wrenches.

Cantoo, never been much one to be the squeaky wheel but I think in this case it might of helped

Thanks for that, I have been scratching my head for the last hour trying to remember his name.

OP, give this a try....

Kevin Greer is a Speeco rep, and he hangs out here once in awhile. His email address is [email protected], you can call him at 800-525-8322 ext. 1147, and his AS username is
kgreer. Here is his profile, send him a PM or an email and I am sure he can help you out

http://www.arboristsite.com/member.php?u=29444

Yup, spoke with Mr. Kevin Greer @ Speeco, He's the one that offered a $500.00 discount on a new machine instead of honoring the companies so-called warranty. They are trash in my opinion. Hope to see them sued, will probably do it myself in small claims. If anybody spends money on a machine with a "Two-year warranty" and it blows up within 90 days, would't you be PO'd too if the company said "Too bad, so sad?"

So just to finish this out, I got a call this morning to come and pick up the splitter. So I head down and pick it up. Talk with the mechanic and he says speeco sent them a new control valve. So he R&R'd that and the splitter worked. Got back home and had a couple hours before a storm rolled in so got after it. Had about 1/4 cord of oak crotches, knots and butts to split and stack before I get shut down for winter. The speeco only had trouble with one piece that I was able to back out of and hit again with success. It worked as advertised. The engine is a little loud and it is thirsty for fuel. There is still a leak at the pump that needs to be fixed. But aside from that I am happy with the performance. There is no way I could have spit some of these rounds by hand, I tried. I think this machine will work out for me. It is put away for winter now and I will get some more time with it this spring. Hope this thread helps out someone looking for a splitter. I would definitely recommend getting one, so much easier than a maul and a wedge. I just don't know yet if I would recommend this one.

Firewood guy, that really sucks. Seems like customer service should be about servicing the customer. My experience with speeco service has not been as bad as yours, but I would not call it good.....

Take it back and get your money back. I bought a northern tool log splitter 30 ton and have been using it commercially and all that's broken is the control valve. They sent it free shipping forward and back and even offered to fix at a local shop. I have split somewhere in the ball park of 60 cords and there 3o ton has got the commercial Honda GX.

We have the Northern "37 ton" splitter , and we have had problems with the unit. However , Northerns customer service and warranty support is just as advertised, and they really keep to their promise of customer satisfaction. Yes, we had some down-time due to repairs, but Northern's warranty policy is just as advertised, maybe Speeco should take notes!! Thanks to all @ Northern for being so attentive to customers issues.. have been a customer since the " Northern Hydraulics" days, and will be as long as they continue to provide honest parts @ honest prices and stand behind what they sell.

Avalancher I think you need to read what you write sometimes. I like most of your stories but seem to find this one a little off. Perhaps I am missing something though. Buying a splitter online or over the phone is much like buying a car from your local dealer.Once you buy it, its yours. A car dealer doesnt care nor does he have a way of dealing with a car once its purchased in the event something goes wrong beyond repairing the defect. You could buy a new truck or car, pull out of the lot, and have the engine seize.Will they give you a new one?Hell no. They will repair the vehicle under warranty.

But buying a splitter you are more or less opening an agreement with the manufacturer that in the event something goes wrong you are to take it to the nearest facility for repair, and it matters not to Speeco that you live out in the sticks.

I have the same situation here, not a lot of options when it comes to buying local. We do have a TSC 20 miles from the house, but their customer service is rotten. I bought a Warn winch there, used it twice, and the thing locked up.Back to the store I went with the winch and receipt in hand, and the manager acted like I showed up in a dress and was asking for his daughters hand in marriage.

So you are saying he shouldn't expect his dealer to take care of the problem, and he should just haul it to Speeco repair facility right? Yeah, but then you buy something, it breaks and you expect the dealer who sold it to you to fix the problem, even though your warranty is with warn the manufacturer? Maybe I am just reading this wrong (its been known to happen), but seems to me instead of going back to tsc you should have contacted warn and drove/shipped the winch to a repair facility? Right? I am also betting you didn't spend $1700 on the winch either, and yet wanted a replacement right? Or do I just have things all turned around?

Omni and this Rock guy seem to get a lot of free PR on here, trouble is he ain't where you are. He IS however your dealer. I suggest you bring the damn thing back to him. Note also, that near as I can tell, he ain't a sponsor here.

If you don't want the hassle of fixing yourself, or dealing with a big corporation trying to get them to fix it, BUY IT FROM A LOCAL DEALER.

Would ya just buy a car from a far off dealer and call Chevy, Ford or Dodge when there's a problem? For the OP, you have a Speeco dealer about 20 miles from ya. By the time it's said and done, your cost would have probably been less to deal with them, and they'd have handled sending it to the service center (or fixed it there),

S&W Feeds - Distance: 21 miles

2292 South Carson Street

Carson City NV 89701

NOTE THAT I'M NOT TELLING YOU TO BRING IT THERE NOW! Do that and you'll be at the far, slow end of the line, same as the person that buys a Husqvarna at the big box store then expects the full line dealer to treat him like a king when he straight gasses it.

Can ya tell threads like this piss me off? Most of the Speeco and Huskee owners on here say good things about their splitters and have never had a problem. Some have had problems, and were treated well and are happy. Every now and then, someone feels they've been wronged (justly or not, we VERY SELDOM have the full facts to decide either way), and go on a full blown biblical crusade to wipe Speeco off the face of the earth.

DISCLAIMER: I have no vested interest in Speeco, don't own one of their splitters, don't own any Blount stock, and your buddy Rock didn't steal the last beer out of my truck.

This concludes tonight's rant.

Several problems with your thinking steve, and my opinion you are out of line. First off yes buy local when possible, but you can buy a car from say ford and have it repaired anywhere. I don't see too many people buy cars local then move hundreds of miles away, and then drive back to the original car dealer to have a problem looked at or fixed, just not going to happen. Now there is also no guarantee that buying local will be a cure-all fix all. I bought a car local and got the run-around from my local dealer after I had problems with it. After a fair amount of time I contacted the company (Ford, GM, etc and no, they are not sponsers here either) I bought it from and they offered to fix the problem, as it should have been fixed to start with. After all that is why you buy a name brand anything right? So you will have some company standing behind you in case you need them, as they should care about their reputation. Oh as a side note they did pay towing, car rental, and extended the warranty and I will buy from them again in the future. They stood behind their product.

Now, second, if say I did buy a husqvarna from a big box store and took it to my full line dealer for repair, would I expect them to treat me like a king? No, I would however expect to be treated with the same respect as every other customer. They are a dealer and that is their job. They should be happy I bought a husqvarna and not a junk stihl, (oh I don't think neither one of them is a sponser either, so guess we shouldn't be shamefully mentioning their names and giving free PR) so in the future they can win me over with customer service and fair treatment. Perhaps if they would treat their customers like this they would find they would end up with a much larger customer base to draw from, as most would buy from them first in the future.

Third as you said, we seldom have the full facts to decide either way, and yet you have decided that the op is clearly in the wrong? I think there are three stories to everything, his, theirs, and the truth. Very seldom do all match or even come close. So I ask this question what possible reason would the op have for running down speeco, what could he gain? Seems to me he may have gotten a bad run of things and if speeco rep was contacted and did nothing then speeco has a problem and he is doing us, and speeco a favor of raising a red flag. Speeco may be a great company and treat 99 percent of its customers great, I have no Idea, but if it lets 1 percent of its customers down I would say there is a problem, and they should be happy to have some light shed on that problem. After all how would you feel if you were the one percent getting the raw deal but everyone else was happy?

Excalibur, I understand there being 3 sides to every story. I have tried to be as impartial as possible. I would welcome speeco or omni to to confirm or refute my statements. Speeco did fix the problem as I pointed out in my above post and the splitter now works as advertised. I have posted what I have had to do and to spend to get it to work as it should have, out of the box.

Too all, I relied on this forum for gathering information when I was researching wood splitters. There is a lot of knowledge and experience among its members and stored on its servers. All I am trying to do is provide more information. Right now there is someone contemplating spending a large (to me) amont of money on a new splitter and they are using this site. I know this because that was me a month ago. The more information they have before they make that purchase the better the outcome will be.

Latest posts

Back