My 288xp/660 piston swap build...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TRI955

TRI955

I'm the man in the box
as far as positive imput, i added that pages ago but it fell on deaf ears.....its not a dig at you but it seems alot of guys are building pop ups and or shooting for high compression and not alot more...the motor as a whole has to work in balance....intake/transfers/compression/exhaust etc etc .....but some are just going for what seems cool....if the search function is used there is 1000's of posts with good saw mod info here....

but atleast your having fun wth saws :rock:

Sorry that I took it that way. The saw is a work in progress, I keep going back to it and tinkering with it. Thank you.:cheers:

little possum

little possum

Crash and Burn
TRI955 your 288 looks amazing:rock:. I am waiting on my 288 to come in the mail that I got off ebay. Gonna do a complete rebuild and add a HD filter and high top. It's my first big wood saw.
Im the case of my 041 rebuild I wasn't really shooting for over 200psi either. What I was shooting for was to be on the lower side of .021" of the squish band. Stock squish was .033 and its now at .019. As for your high compression, just run the highest octane gas you can and you should be fine. Which is 94 here, or 110 sunoco race gas around here. The 110 is $8.98 a gallon.:buttkick:

Need to ride by the airport :) Not as bad as 110 price wise.

Looks good Mike, mine is sittin in the back awaiting a pressure test and some TLC

belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
belgian goes modding, LOL

I was pretty impressed with Tri's modification of the 288xp with a 066 popup piston...that darn vid pulled a serious nerve.

As mentioned earlier in this thread http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=2074099&postcount=84, I found a bunch of 181/281/288 parts with a retired dealer, so I decided I gotta have me one like TRI's.

He was kind enough to get me a piston across the pond but it took me a while to get to the job. But this week I got errrrr done...

this pic looks familiar I suppose :hmm3grin2orange:

066popup.jpg

heres the 288 finished.

I'll need to wait a bit untill rings are seated to measure comp, but you could tell immediately that it had went up quite a bit.
Saws runs very nicely, but I still have the impression that a small muffler mod is needed to get full power out of it. But she runs real fine already. I put a 22" bar on it, but am thinking of upgrading to a 24" soon.

288xprebuiltsmall.jpg

This will be a keeper and my go to saw for big wood. I hope to make a vid soon of the saw in action.
Big thanks to TRI599 for helping me finish this project. :yourock:

From all the husky parts saws I got, I was able to make 2x 181's and a 288 out of them, with some new parts.

haulaftera.jpg

My firewood saws at the moment are MS200, 346xp, MS361, MS 441 and 288xp. I probably would have enough with one saw, but some spare capacity is nice...

Last edited:
belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Very nice Roland!
A great score on all those parts

Thanks LP!
It was a good score indeed, but one still needs to put some money and work in the rebuilt though. But I got 3 saws out of them in excellent shape, for a total cost of about 450 $, and still have many spare parts left...Not bad considering the price of saws over here.
Only saw nuts like us can afford to invest that amout of time in these projects ;).

belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
It is nice to see the finished project Roland! What kind of squish did you end up with? Are you running a gasket?

Yes, I did use a gasket, but thinner than the original one. To be honoust, I didn't measure the squish...but compression is up quite a bit. I got myself a new compression tester a while ago, but no matter what saw I use it on, it never goes higher than 120 PSI:dunno:

I just will run her a bit before taking on anything else.

belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
It is nice to see the finished project Roland! What kind of squish did you end up with? Are you running a gasket?

I did some measuring today and ended up with the following :

gasket thickness 0,25mm (.0098") instead of original 0,5mm (.012")
Squish : 0,9 mm (.035")

I ran the saw for a bit recently and now that rings are beginning to break inn, I got plenty of good compression...hehe. This is becoming a very nice saw. Still need to make a vid though...nextttttttt. :cheers:

SawGarage

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
Mike,

is the tank on your saw (where the trigger/presence lever/ etc is...) different than on the 288 I have, or the 3 saws Roland has?

I didn't see the trigger lock for the 1/2 throttle for starting.

unless they changed it, and put it 'in-body' like the newer saws...

yours could have been a later model perhaps, if so.

Jay

belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
here's my first attempt of a cookie cuttin' with the 288xp. It was tried on a dry fence post, but the wood size does not do justice to the saw, nor does the cutting technique (afraid of hitting dirt, LOL)

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid213.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fcc86%2Fbelgian_pics%2F288cookie.mp4">

This saw has an awesome sound and throttle response for a big saw. The only minor compared to newer saws is surely the antivibe. If you are used to spring mounted AV, you will feel the difference with the rubber AV on this model.
This saw is entirely stock except aftermarket top and clutch cover, and a TRI955 customized piston. A keeper :)

Last edited:
TRI955

TRI955

I'm the man in the box
I did some measuring today and ended up with the following :

gasket thickness 0,25mm (.0098") instead of original 0,5mm (.012")
Squish : 0,9 mm (.035")

I ran the saw for a bit recently and now that rings are beginning to break inn, I got plenty of good compression...hehe. This is becoming a very nice saw. Still need to make a vid though...nextttttttt. :cheers:

Looks like you still have plenty of room for adjustment with the squish if you want to go tighter. I would guess compression around 185-190 psi?? I could trim the cylinder down for you if you would like to mess with it more and still run a gasket. Looks and sounds good Roland, have you modded the muffler? Get it in some bigger wood, lean it out a bit and let her eat!!!

Mike,

is the tank on your saw (where the trigger/presence lever/ etc is...) different than on the 288 I have, or the 3 saws Roland has?

I didn't see the trigger lock for the 1/2 throttle for starting.

unless they changed it, and put it 'in-body' like the newer saws...

yours could have been a later model perhaps, if so.

Jay

So, you got me out of my "comfy chair" to go and investigate the throttle lock situation, because I didn't recall it having one or really even missing it.:help: Much to my surprise and embarrassment, it does have a throttle lock!! :stupid: I probably still will not use it, but it is nice to know that it is there!!!

SawGarage

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
So, you got me out of my "comfy chair" to go and investigate the throttle lock situation, because I didn't recall it having one or really even missing it.:help: Much to my surprise and embarrassment, it does have a throttle lock!! :stupid: I probably still will not use it, but it is nice to know that it is there!!!

Lol..

OK, i thought I was going crazy. as i didn't see you lock it upon 1st start ( as i thought you pulled the choke out :dizzy:)

I was REALLY confused:confused: that they may have updated the tank at somepoint ....

cool.

J