My 288xp/660 piston swap build...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you still have plenty of room for adjustment with the squish if you want to go tighter. I would guess compression around 185-190 psi?? I could trim the cylinder down for you if you would like to mess with it more and still run a gasket. Looks and sounds good Roland, have you modded the muffler? Get it in some bigger wood, lean it out a bit and let her eat!!!

I am quite happy with this saw like it is for the moment, thanks for the offer though. I opened up the muffler a bit (there is an internal baffle that an be bent).

Generally, I tune my saws a bit rish during break in, but will finetune later in some bigger wood. thanks for your input, folks.
:cheers:

Nice saw! I would love to pull the trigger on one with that much compression!

Now here comes the dumb question I have a 288 xp lite do they have a throttle lock for starting it starts without it but I continue to think there should be one! Am I missing it?

Where your thumb rest abover the throttle there should be a black throttle lock. Pull the trigger to wot and push the lock foward and release the throttle. Ive never used mine.

It's go time...
DSCN2427.jpg

DSCN2430.jpg

Nice!

Looks like I'm gonna get back into this saw again, just can't leave it alone. I'm going to finally check the port timing and see where it stands. I hope to bounce some #'s off you guys and see where the port timing #'s should be. Not much to work with on making the exhaust port wider with the 066 piston, very narrow skirt compared to the 288 piston. Stay tuned....

Looks like I'm gonna get back into this saw again, just can't leave it alone. I'm going to finally check the port timing and see where it stands. I hope to bounce some #'s off you guys and see where the port timing #'s should be. Not much to work with on making the exhaust port wider with the 066 piston, very narrow skirt compared to the 288 piston. Stay tuned....

Just go WAY up, and WAY down on the exhaust to make up for the lack of width :spam: :monkey:

LOL! KIDDING!

I've forgotten what you did as far as porting (and too lazy to re-read the thread :buttkick: ) but there's QUITE a bit of room to improve over factory #'s..

J

Saw is back apart for time timing adjustments...

Compression at this time...
DSC00378.jpg

Degree wheel setup that I stole from somebody else on here...
DSC00380.jpg

Current #'s are

Exh. 103*
Trans. 125*
Intake 78*

What kind of #'s am I looking for?? I don't have the stock #'s to compare it too either. I'm thinking...
Exh. @ 98* & Trans. @ 120*, and leave the intake alone.

What do you say???

Raising the exhaust will help drop the compression back down to a reasonable level too. There is a lot of material to remove to get the exhaust to around 98*...makes me nervous!!!

I don't know that I'd raise the transfer 5° in one go, makes me nervous raising the transfers that much. Just be careful is all, when raising the transfers.

Cylinder is back on and I ended up close to what I was after, I stayed on the safe side of things.

Exh. @ 99*
Trans. @ 122*

It will have wait till tomorrow to go any further...

Saw is back together and running, something has changed since I had to fatten it up. Compression has dropped big time, I'm surprised it even will run, to 185psi! Need to get it into some wood but that will have to wait till I have some light....

Back