My almost NOS Homelite 330

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
picked it up a few days ago. I drained the "gas" that was in the tank rinsed filled her up. Started right up but needs to have a carb rebuild she will run but I have to leave the choke about half way. I am ordering a boot and a carb kit

muffler still has the paint
IMG_0416.jpg

still has the Made in USA sticker

IMG_0415.jpg

haven't cleaned it yet
IMG_0417.jpg

close up
IMG_0418.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing I did not like about the 330 beyond all the stuff you remove for intake is the poor airfiltration set up.

It takes very little run time to plug it up.

The one I had ran strong and I actually liked the saw, but sold it on Craigslist to feed other projects.

Last edited:
Ok $30...

You should have clicked "Buy it Now!" while you had the chance Fish.:D

That is a DAMN clean looking 330. I'm not a fan of that model, but they're certainly good saws. The intake boot/impulse line repacement PITA is their main fault, but is not hard to overcome with a little swearing and tinkering.

Not fond of the auto oiler setup on 330s, but truth is when you get it working properly, these saws do feel good to run. Lots of grunt, maybe because of the reeds. Nice also is even though they have the carb boots, you can pick the boots up easily and for cheap.

Dan

You should have clicked "Buy it Now!" while you had the chance Fish.:D

That is a DAMN clean looking 330. I'm not a fan of that model, but they're certainly good saws. The intake boot/impulse line repacement PITA is their main fault, but is not hard to overcome with a little swearing and tinkering.

took the air cover off I believe it when the guy said his FIL used it once or twice . Filter was like new took the bar off very little if anything as in way of chips ..Just waiting for the parts to show up before I dig into it

I had one and complained a little about it. Seeing as it does have some fanboys, I will admit it did OK for what I paid for it (a day's labor taking down/cleaning up a big elm tree) and it did have enough power to handle the 20" bar they came with, but not with any real authority.

Mine eventually accounted for about 200 cords of firewood; not a whole lot compared to, for example a Husky 55 or Stihl 031 (similar era and displacement) The compression is getting low. But the biggest drawback to me was the poorly designed die-cast magnesium parts that crumbled to bits. I think my saw originally cost about $200 around 1980 and maybe that low price should be taken in to account.

"Some fanboys"? I didn't see a single 330 fanboy post in this thread. Don't think I have ever seen one on any forum. "Fanboy" is a belittling insult. Look to the 346XP/PS5100/MS261 threads for examples of fanboy posts. NOT saying that's what those threads are about. You WILL find fanboys there without much dificulty however...:D

Last edited:
got this one for free, owner said didn't run. 5 min carb clean and runs like a top. i'll do something with it sooner or later.
attachment.php
descent enough saw for what it is, cut's and run 's

Latest posts

Back