My almost NOS Homelite 330

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guido what year GT in you avatar?

1962, was built in late November of 1961 and sold new in Pomona, CA. Fellow traded in a 1958 Lincoln Continental and financed the $1500 difference over 3 years at $53 per month. It was stored in a garage in Bakersfield, CA from 1974 - 1999 and only has 58,000 miles on it.

1962, was built in late November of 1961 and sold new in Pomona, CA. Fellow traded in a 1958 Lincoln Continental and financed the $1500 difference over 3 years at $53 per month. It was stored in a garage in Bakersfield, CA from 1974 - 1999 and only has 58,000 miles on it.

Did you drive it home from Bakersfield Gary?:D

Eccentric: "Some fanboys"?

Pardon me.
I have a Jonsered 2149 with about 1000 hrs on it. At about hour 800, it got treated to a new cylinder. Total investment so far; about $600, if you consider original purchase price and new piston/cylinder set. That's $0.60/hr. Homelite lasted around 200 hrs and wasn't worth fixing; that's about $1/hr.

IMO, NOT pointing out the Homie 330's shortcomings comes closer to being a fanboy than being a curmudgeon, given the cost of ownership on the Homie was 67% higher.

You're obviously using a different set of figures, or haven't been able to directly compare a 330 with another saw.

Figures.................WTF?

Eccentric: "Some fanboys"?

Pardon me.
I have a Jonsered 2149 with about 1000 hrs on it. At about hour 800, it got treated to a new cylinder. Total investment so far; about $600, if you consider original purchase price and new piston/cylinder set. That's $0.60/hr. Homelite lasted around 200 hrs and wasn't worth fixing; that's about $1/hr.

IMO, NOT pointing out the Homie 330's shortcomings comes closer to being a fanboy than being a curmudgeon, given the cost of ownership on the Homie was 67% higher.

You're obviously using a different set of figures, or haven't been able to directly compare a 330 with another saw.

I was NEVER using ANY figures. NOBODY was comparing the 330 to any other saw (except you). I was just pointing out that I hadn't seen any Homelite 330 "fanboy" posts in this thread or any other. That's NOT a Homelite model that you'll see "fanboy" posts for. Did you actually READ our posts in this thread.......................or does ANY possitive comment made about one of these saws (since the "figures" don't match your sainted Jonny 2149) constitute a "fanboy" post?

MY post that I'd made in the thread stated that I was NOT a fan of this model (which you'd have known if you'd actually READ it). I only complimented the condition of this particular specimen (and stated the shortcomings of the 330.....ie the intake boot and impulse line). Other guys related some possitive experiences, AND SOME ALSO STATED THE SHORTCOMINGS of the saw.

It was just a calm, ballanced discussion until you threw in the "fanboy" crap. This was NOT a thread extoling the virtues of a particular saw model. Wasn't comparing it to ANY other models, past or present. Why did you feel the need to come in here and make it one?

By the way, a telltale sign of a TRUE fanboy is when some jackass feels the need to enter a saw (or car, or motorcycle, or....) thread and bring up their own "favorite" while trashing the model being discussed. That also is troll behavior......

And I'm a "curmudgen" just because I object to you trolling your way in here and calling the participants in this thread "fanboys"?????

Have some Homelite Red rep...

Last edited:
Did you drive it home from Bakersfield Gary?:D

No, I have a friend who runs a trucking company in Virginia who hauled it back in a 53' van trailer for me. May have cost $1000, but it saved 3000 miles and I didn't have to worry about any breakdowns.

A few of Keith's red tractors:

2804647490097493054S600x600Q85.jpg

He has a few green ones too:

2754111510097493054S600x600Q85.jpg

No, I have a friend who runs a trucking company in Virginia who hauled it back in a 53' van trailer for me. May have cost $1000, but it saved 3000 miles and I didn't have to worry about any breakdowns.

A few of Keith's red tractors:

Nice spread of MH, MF, and Oliver tractors he has! Does that make me an old tractor "fanboy"? Guess it does........:D

FANTASTIC. We now have another destination to add to the list of places to see when we make a trip back east.

You know I was refering to the jackass above when making the "fanboys" comment right Gary?

Again, pardon me.

Apparently on the left coast "fanboy" is a vague insult. Here in MN, where we're thousands of years behind the times, "fanboy" (or "-girl") especially among the over 50 crowd like myself, doesn't have such loaded meaning.

the 330 wasn't one of Homelite's best efforts. THAT was my point. I apologize if you take umbrage at that assessment, but I stand by that assertion.

...That is a DAMN clean looking 330. I'm not a fan of that model, but they're certainly good saws. The intake boot/impulse line repacement PITA is their main fault, but is not hard to overcome with a little swearing and tinkering.

Again, pardon me.

Apparently on the left coast "fanboy" is a vague insult. Here in MN, where we're thousands of years behind the times, "fanboy" (or "-girl") especially among the over 50 crowd like myself, doesn't have such loaded meaning.

the 330 wasn't one of Homelite's best efforts. THAT was my point. I apologize if you take umbrage at that assessment, but I stand by that assertion.

Pardon me.
You just ain't listening sir. I'm not taking umbrage at your assertation that the 330 wasn't one of Homelite's best efforts. I AGREE with that assertation. Again...........did you even READ my first post? I quoted it above (with the relevent bit in bold) just for you. I took umbrage at your calling us "fanboys" just because we either complimented the condition of the OP's saw (in my case) or shared some possitive experience we had with the model. I don't own a 330. Never have, and probably never will. I've passed them up MANY times in the past. The only way I can see owning one for any length of time is if it comes to me as part of a group of cheap/free saws. Mini-macs have found their way into my shop in that manner. Those damn things multiply, and need to be cleared out every so often....

"Fanboy", at least on the internet (not a "Left coast" thing..............and that's an insult too) means somebody who cheerleads for their favorite whatever, and enjoys jumping into threads discussing a whatever that's NOT their favorite................just to bash on it and make themselves feel good for choosing THEIR favorite. For example: A Chevy guy jumping into a Mustang discussion to bash on Mustangs and talk up their Camero. "Fanboys" also won't listen to any criticism of their favorite, and won't listen (or they dismiss) any possitive statements about something OTHER than their favorite.

This is pointless and stupid. I'm done with the whole thing.

My dad has a 64 with 28k 99% of the car is the way it came from the factory he had to have one fender repaired when he bought it the original owners kid damaged it

Wow this thread took on a life of its own. back on subject took the carb off and guess what the boot is toast, I don't think this saw was ever run . The carb was pristine inside and I just shot it with cleaner and put it back together

chainsaw003.jpg

chainsaw004.jpg

I have a boot on its way 6.50 with 2.38 shipping. Its going to be a job but in my spare time I will get it fixed

The only thing I did not like about the 330 beyond all the stuff you remove for intake is the poor airfiltration set up.

It takes very little run time to plug it up.

The one I had ran strong and I actually liked the saw, but sold it on Craigslist to feed other projects.

commentary on the air intake problem:

I still have my 330. bought it new in 1982. Cut about 30 bush cord of fuel wood. Use it for odd jobs now,
Went through about 4 chains. Just got a new guide bar and chain combo Oregon 27853 with D60 chain.
For the air inlet problem I added an external pre-filter. A piece of sponge held in place with a piece of hardboard
and 2 wires . Hardly ever have to clean the external filter and very seldom have to clean the internal filter.
Drive sprocket getting worn but still lots of life in it. One clutch shoe has lost it's asbestos liner.
Saw a Stihl sprocket a couple of days ago.It was well worn and is a lot lighter than the 330 sprocket.
The owner was replacing the guide bar also...

Back