My answer for the flipcap problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My younger brother bought an MS 200T in 07' and from day one we both had problems getting the oil cap to seat and tighten properly. The solution was to get another cap from the dealer. The fuel cap worked just like it was supposed to. I don't buy the E-10 idea mainly because both cap and tank are made of the same HDPE plastic and it would stand to reason that if the cap would swell from Ethanol then there would be problems with the tank too.

I'm sure like any process there are going to be some that "got away" and a few aggrevated customers. If you don't believe me just ask Mr. Toyota! JJuday

there's several ways those piece of crap flippy caps come apart.
it'd be better if it separated in pieces... but no... cap refuses to seal unless you fiddle and fiddle and fiddle... then finally it seals.

of course first inclination is to assume cap is not aligned correctly. but usually not... now at first sign of trouble... a new cap goes on... problem solved. until it breaks again....

046; can you explain "come apart?"
Do you mean "fail to seal", or do you mean the o-ring is failing?

As far as "only solution is sell saw or replace cap" I would invite you to try my original post. 5 minutes with a file or stone and you're good to go.

I've spent 30 minutes fooling with a bad cap trying to get it to seal; once I tapered the edges of the cleats and flange, it worked fine. Still does.
-br

attachment.php

Heres some food for though. Where else in the cap world can you find anything remotely similar to a stihl flip cap?

2006 and newer KTM dirt bikes (Made in Austria) have a 1/4 turn gas cap. Very similar to the Stihl flippy cap. It is the biggest piece of crap design imagineable. They leak, they pop off and bikes catch fire, people get soaked in gas, there is no lip around the cap opening so dirt falls in the tank when You remove the cap. Sometimes I wonder if KTM borrowed the design from Stihl. On my 2006 300XCW I was able to retrofit a tank from a 2005 bike to get rid of the 1/4 turn cap, but people with newer bikes don't have that option because the tanks are different. They are absolutely Great bikes otherwise, but I doubt I will buy another KTM until they go back to a regular screw-on gas cap.

2006 and newer KTM dirt bikes (Made in Austria) have a 1/4 turn gas cap. Very similar to the Stihl flippy cap. It is the biggest piece of crap design imagineable. They leak, they pop off and bikes catch fire, people get soaked in gas, there is no lip around the cap opening so dirt falls in the tank when You remove the cap. Sometimes I wonder if KTM borrowed the design from Stihl. On my 2006 300XCW I was able to retrofit a tank from a 2005 bike to get rid of the 1/4 turn cap, but people with newer bikes don't have that option because the tanks are different. They are absolutely Great bikes otherwise, but I doubt I will buy another KTM until they go back to a regular screw-on gas cap.

KTMs are over priced pieces of crap though. I would expect that from them. Stihl should know better...

or even better..................

I feel it must have been the same engineer that started the dern safety gas can, you know the one that leaks if tipped over :rolleyes:

the cans that swell up like a basketball in the summer or suck the sides in in the winter!

then when you open them a big gust of fumes and vapor comes out any damn way!

guess them idiot liberals in the government didn't think that one through either.

the cans that swell up like a basketball in the summer or suck the sides in in the winter!

then when you open them a big gust of fumes and vapor comes out any damn way!

guess them idiot liberals in the government didn't think that one through either.

My wife didn't know how to open the darn thing; could you imagine if she ran out of gas and was stuck somewhere by the side of the road

First the flippy caps are gay.:buttkick:
Then it's the liberals' fault for flippy caps.:(
Now we have the stooopid Stihl engineers.:dizzy:

Whiners all......WAAAAAAAAAAAAA.........

The same who want to go back to button flys(flies ?).
"Damn zippers get caught in my thing all the time. Too easy. " :cry::cry:

WTF: I love the flippy caps, learnt to use them right, keep them clean, insert as instructed. No more problems. Button flys anyone ???:givebeer:

Why don't one of you entrepenuers engineer a flippy cap adaptor? One end attaches to the flippy cap accepting tank (maybe with permanent adhesive) and the other side is threaded for a conventional screw cap.

If the flippy cap is as reviled as suggested, you will make a million!

Philbert

Back