My answer for the flipcap problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm always intriged by the Flippy Cap "Problem", as an owner of flippy cap saws for 5 years in logging, I can't say I have had any problems with them. I have them on a 441, 361 and 260. I personally, wish they were on all my saws.

When I drive my skidder, I don't want to keep track of a scrench as I do use the 361 or 260, on that skidder. I like to be able to refuel without needing to wear the scrench or keep track of another tool. When I'm cutting trees I don't mind the screw on caps as much as it is a necessity to wear a scrench, but not when I'm driving my skidder all day.

All I can do is stand back in amazement,

Sam

I'm always intriged by the Flippy Cap "Problem", as an owner of flippy cap saws for 5 years in logging, I can't say I have had any problems with them. I have them on a 441, 361 and 260. I personally, wish they were on all my saws.

When I drive my skidder, I don't want to keep track of a scrench as I do use the 361 or 260, on that skidder. I like to be able to refuel without needing to wear the scrench or keep track of another tool. When I'm cutting trees I don't mind the screw on caps as much as it is a necessity to wear a scrench, but not when I'm driving my skidder all day.

Sam

HAHA, Guys that work in the flat country are ####in spoiled rotten, I would expect you not to have any qualms with flip caps..:greenchainsaw:

Also there is NO need to have a wrech to be workin screw caps........................

attachment.php

flippy caps suck...:popcorn:

Sam

:agree2: Damn, one of ours. "Sam I am".

Any of you button fly types remove a cap WITH mittens, NO tool @ -12 F ?
What really is the problem you have with Stihl no tool caps ? ?

BUTTON FLYS boys ???? :monkey:

:agree2: Damn, one of ours. "Sam I am".

Any of you button fly types remove a cap WITH mittens, NO tool @ -12 F ?
What really is the problem you have with Stihl no tool caps ? ?

BUTTON FLYS boys ???? :monkey:

you dont needa tool to open screw caps. At worst, a stick hit against the edge of the cap will open her right up...

I like to be able to refuel without needing to wear the scrench or keep track of another tool. When I'm cutting trees I don't mind the screw on caps as much as it is a necessity to wear a scrench, but not when I'm driving my skidder all day.

Sam

I'm amazed too. When did they start putting the gas caps underneath the clutch cover? Or do you refuel through the spark plug hole?

It took me a long time to get use to those caps, on the larger saws I swap them once and awile with the oil cap when that o-ring starts to swell. Or I put some 2cycle oil right on the oring for the climbing saw

MS 250 Flipcap

I recently bought a used MS250 with flipcaps I opened the fuel cap and filled the saw, Open the oil cap and filled with oil. started the saw and didnt run it much. I put it in the floorboard of the truck to start home and the oilcap fell out and dummped chain oil all over the truck. I had to haul it to the local stihl dealer and we finally found the right groove and got it sealed the oil cap does not have the notch on it like the fuel cap. Why did they not go ahead and put a notch on the oil cap????

I recently bought a used MS250 with flipcaps I opened the fuel cap and filled the saw, Open the oil cap and filled with oil. started the saw and didnt run it much. I put it in the floorboard of the truck to start home and the oilcap fell out and dummped chain oil all over the truck. I had to haul it to the local stihl dealer and we finally found the right groove and got it sealed the oil cap does not have the notch on it like the fuel cap. Why did they not go ahead and put a notch on the oil cap????

The question to me is why was it not engineered to where it could be substituted to a screw in cap. Some like me that used to think stihl's were it, were led to the orange light like a moth to flames! Now that I know the truth I will remain orange:popcorn:

New 261 owner and after 5+ fill’s of Stihl redimix I came out to the shop and saw that the flip cap was wet and leaked all down the side of the saw.

Wiped it all down and let it sit for another day and same thing, gas down the side again.

Did it one last time and everything was seated correctly and it still leaks.

Gonna try the dealer to see if there is a fix, otherwise the saw is great!

Flippy caps; an overcomplicated answer to a question nobody even asked.

the old stihl caps just needed a better shape to get a grip on, cause they are kinda shite too.

Just think of it as an IQ test every time you fuel the saw up, some have problems with them and some don't.
PS you won't get one to work if the fluid level inside the tank is too full

Latest posts

Back