My aux oiler addition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It happens. I hit one cutting firewood not long ago. It makes a mess of the cutters. That was a 98 DL chain that's now a 60 DL. If you don't have a rivet spinner, you lose a chain.

I hit a polyethylene rope that was embedded in a log while milling. Didn't hurt anything. But, that was bizarre. I started getting green sawdust:confused: Someone had tied a rope around the tree and it just grew over it. Wish I had taken a picture.

Bluerider was milling an elm tree and hit two 1/2" bolts and a ceramic insolator that someone put in/on the tree many years ago. He was the lucky guy to find all of them with his saws. I saw the piece yesterday. He dulled a .404 chain real bad, but it sawed through the bolts and then broke a 3/8" chain on another saw on th ceramic insulator.

BLUERIDER, I sawed up the remain wood after I cut away the section with the bolts/insulator, Bernie is going to use that piece for splitting on.

jerry-

it is a Kohler 25 horse, with a fabbed up 17 pin 404 sprocket. I hope to run full comp with the rakers down a bit, what do you think?

For the oiler I will be using a 5 gallon bucket full of canola oil. What I would like to try is the drip method oiler using a valve to a short length of flexible copper tubing( like 1/4 inch) coming out of the bottom of the bucket gravity feed style.?

used oli

hi , i have used recycled oil in my older saws for years with no problems tho it pays to let it settle in a 60 litre drum with a magnet in it , i then filter it thru several layers of thick felt . i run a pipe from the feeder tank thru to a larger pipe with felt and then into another drum ,slow but leave it going all the time and you get a good supply of oil . a tap on he bottom drum lets you draw of cleaned oil when you need it.

ps it was 40 degrees centigrade here yesterday so black drums catching the sun get the oil flowing especially as the top drum gets pretty hot

Last edited:
it is a Kohler 25 horse, with a fabbed up 17 pin 404 sprocket. I hope to run full comp with the rakers down a bit, what do you think?

WOW - Did you fab it yourself?

What sort of continuous max RPM are we talking about?

RE: Rakers down "a bit"
- I would start at 0.045" and go up from there. Some guys with Lucas slabbers with those sorts of horses run 0.06"

I bought the sprocket and adjustable roller tip and5 ft bar off www.lmsaws.com
The centrifigul clutch is rated to 40 hp and is off a go kart

If I had known though about another company, I could have ordered a 22 pin sprocket to up my chainspeed. I am planning on using this as slabbing mill. Just like a Lucas mill, my carriage rolls on 20 ft rails. What is different are that my rails are are push button operated, on either side of a 20ft shipping container.

As far as motor rpms, its max is 3600, in the wood under load, we shall see:)

I bought the sprocket and adjustable roller tip and5 ft bar off www.lmsaws.com
The centrifigul clutch is rated to 40 hp and is off a go kart

If I had known though about another company, I could have ordered a 22 pin sprocket to up my chainspeed. I am planning on using this as slabbing mill. Just like a Lucas mill, my carriage rolls on 20 ft rails. What is different are that my rails are are push button operated, on either side of a 20ft shipping container.

As far as motor rpms, its max is 3600, in the wood under load, we shall see:)

Pics - it don't exist till we see pics!

Hows the noise and fumes inside the container?
And how do you get the log into the container?

3600 rpm with a 17 pin = 47 mph which is a bit on the light side. 22 gives 60 mph which would be SMOKING!

Thats one of the better things about the 4 stroke as it has a really nice muffler that kicks the exhaust out and away. One entire side( 20ft by 8ft high) Has been removed from the container. All logs and slabs willl be moved by a forklift. Pics are coming, hold on!

Hey treecycle, I reckon you should start your own thread on your mill. People are gonna want to look for it for some time. If it's buried in this thread it will be harder to find.
Cheers

Hey treecycle, I reckon you should start your own thread on your mill. People are gonna want to look for it for some time. If it's buried in this thread it will be harder to find.
Cheers

I second that.
I can't wait to see what you're doing and I am sure others will as well.

Cheers

I'll third that.

treecycle, could you do a built thread about your mill please? With lots of photos cataloguing the process?
Its fascinating.

Latest posts

Back