my birthday present!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearsfeat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, I am 39 tomorrow - for the first time... And I am sitting down after the kids are in bed tonight to share with you all a highlight of my terrific evening of dinner, cake and presents... I got a card with a $400 "credit" toward a chainsaw! A couple of catches, though. One is I gotta buy it before the end of Feb. - shouldn't be a problem. The other is that it has to be either NEW or come with a warranty. I will never live down the mistake I made buying an '87 pickup that - well, use your imagination... Anyway, here is the front of my card that my 6 year old daughter drew. As you can see, I stil need to teach her about PPE!

Nice card you got for your birthday. I remember being stuck at 30 years old for a few years then I just gave in because my body couldn't handle it any longer. What for chainsaw you planing on buying?

Super cute.

My 2 year old sees my saws and says. Your new chainsaw is worange. Then I ask her about the older one and she says it is geen!!

Kids are awesome

Birthday Ideas

Well, I am 39 tomorrow - for the first time... And I am sitting down after the kids are in bed tonight to share with you all a highlight of my terrific evening of dinner, cake and presents...

Congratulations on what sounds like a "perfect" birthday. I know it is over the dollar amount you were given but Baileys still has one left of the supped up 372XPW (modified by Unifire) that will produce 6.5Hp (for $695). I know actions speak louder than words so I'll share that I also bought one.

Good luck on your decision....and Happy Birthday.:clap:

Best picture ever. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I like both Stihl and Husky. Although I find myself picking up my Huskies more than my stihls. Maybe just because their new?!? I've never used Dolmar....folks on this site love'm though!

Last edited:
wow - thanks for the great support...

I am encouraged by the suggestions - both blatent and sublime...

Although my step brother is a Stihl guy and my best friend is a Husky guy, I am not yet swayed...(although if Subaru made a saw, I would be hooked)

That said, I did do a little askin' on the saws forum and got some great advice - in particular, find out who has a dealer close by. So, I will start my digging there - by finding a reputable shop close to home and potentailly selecting something from the make(s) they carry. I know there is a Stihl dealer not too far, but I think they suck from an experience I had with them and my Airens lawn mower...

Anybody know of a good dealer in the Worcester, MA area, please let me know.

Never considered a Dolmar, but I will now - thank you.

The pic WILL go up over my bench.

You people are the best! Thanks...

wow - thanks for the great support...

I am encouraged by the suggestions - both blatent and sublime...

Although my step brother is a Stihl guy and my best friend is a Husky guy, I am not yet swayed...(although if Subaru made a saw, I would be hooked)

That said, I did do a little askin' on the saws forum and got some great advice - in particular, find out who has a dealer close by. So, I will start my digging there - by finding a reputable shop close to home and potentailly selecting something from the make(s) they carry. I know there is a Stihl dealer not too far, but I think they suck from an experience I had with them and my Airens lawn mower...

Anybody know of a good dealer in the Worcester, MA area, please let me know.

Never considered a Dolmar, but I will now - thank you.

The pic WILL go up over my bench.

You people are the best! Thanks...

Actually... What are you using your saw for. Do you burn tons of wood? Primary heating, etc. Or just for cleaning up acreage, farm?

stihl 441, 24" bar, 72LGX chain. It'll be a little more than 4 bills, but you can do just about anything with this setup. I own a tree service and I've got probably 20ish saws, stihl 192t, 200t, 290, 361c, 440, 441, 460, 660, 880 also husky 335, 338, 372, 385, 3120.:chainsaw: When I'm cuttin', i take the 441 cause it's the best one of the lot unless i'm just showing off, then it's the 3120 with the 72" bar. Having a good dealer nearby isn't a bad idea, but how often are you gonna need those guys? I wouldn't base my decision on that criteria. I order all my bars, chains, plugs, filters, etc online. With a parts book, you can get anything online and normally faster than if the local dealer has to order it in.

I will be heating with wood ~75% - burning 3-4 cord per year with less than half of that delivered cut and split. I will be scrounging about 2+ cord per year from falls, neighbors, friends and roadside stuff. (and I live across the street from a golf course...)

So, this saw will not be used very heavily. I have been living for the last 6 or 7 years with an old MucLuc Eager Beaver that just burned out its coil. I am looking forward to running a nice saw. I've used my buddy's Husky and my brother's Stihl and, well, I can see why CAD exists... but I won't have a problem with that, really!

Back