My chainsaw pops but won't run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any luck with the saw
OK I have a new update. I set the gap between the ignition module and the flywheel with the business card. I also closed the carburetors low side all the way and opened it 2 1/2 turns. Now after priming it I can get it to run for about five seconds and then it shuts off.

like mentioned before when it was "smoking" it was maybe flooded into the muffler and the unburned fuel was in there smoking / see flooded . Or the chain brake may have been on? I had a 3314 I think? trying to get it running for a fella. If you have had the carb apart you may want to look there again post up some photos as you go for some better input. It had to have the low speed circuit open like 2 1/2 turns maybe more? It seemed everything that could be an issue on that saw was an issue. You may be trying to learn repair on a very,... shall we say finicky rig. You have some very knowledgeable men here and they will help you if they can. Remember if they say try this or that go try it then report back. They are trying to trouble shoot for you form miles away. Good Luck Jeff

can you get some pics of the carb with the gasket etc removed. some of the carb have a accumulator set up and not a nozzle check valve. do you have a way to pressure test the carb. here is a pic of my pressure tester for carb. got the parts at wally world and hardware store. been going 10 years strong

Attachments

• pressure tester.jpg
    pressure tester.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Check the carb against the diagram at Walbro or one of the parts houses. Here is an example; http://www.ereplacementparts.com/walbro-wt5941-carburetor-parts-c-139716_139818_141442.html
example of walbro wt-594.

The number of your carb is on the side.

Double check the orientation of the gaskets to the diaphragms in the carb. Sometimes this gets out of order. On the metering side (4 screw side) the gasket goes down first against the aluminum casting and is followed by the metering diaphragm, and then the cover.

On the pump side (single screw) , the diaphragm goes down first, followed by the gasket and then the cover.

If you bought a new kit, lay out the gaskets and diaphragms on a clean table. Match what is in your carb to that which is in the kit. There will be extras for other carbs so expect to through some out. Do not worry about the welch plugs at this point.

While you have the carb off, check the intake grommet for cracks. Use a light and probe with your little finger. Check to see that the intake is tight to the cylinder flange. Check the fuel lines and return lines for cracks, especially in the corners where they are hidden or run under something.

On the WT Metering lever should be flush with the casting that surrounds it. Not high, not low, just equal in height to the casting.

Here is the Walbro WT service manual. It has the diagram IPL with it.
http://www.walbro.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/WTseries.pdf

Once your sure the carb is right, set each jet to 2 turns out from lightly closed and try to start the engine. Go over the exterior bolts to make sure the engine pan is tight to the case.

You can pull the plug and pour a thimble full of fuel down through it to test the integrity of the ignition and the seals.

Back