My Craigslist advise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abureels4me

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been scooping up deals on CL the past few months and wanted to share what I have learned. CL search engine is very picky, if you put in chainsaw then chain saw you get different results. The same holds true with chainsaws and chain saws. Here is my favorite Stihl and Sthil, you wouldn't believe the people who spell it wrong the same can be said with harsquvanna and poland. There are a lot of hidden bargains waiting for someone to put in the right or wrong spelling. I am going to look at a low hour "Sthil" 036 tomorrow, and couldn't count the "Homelights" I've come across. Try it, your mileage may vary or very. :rock:

Yep some good buy's for sure. Good advise, and that is why I search under chainsaw. Then I search under Stihl. Then I search under husqvarna. If I go to the all for sale and type chainsaw, I get the most result's.

About half of the saws I get are from Craigslist, and the others are from word of mouth. I search Stihl, chainsaw, chain saw. And a bunch of others if I have the time. Every once in a while, the good old Sunday paper will have a few good deals also. Some old guys still use it over the internet! I think word of mouth will get you the most over all. And I have never had to sell a saw using Craigslist. I keep most of my friends and family well supplied with saws! HAPPY CUTTING, BIG MIKE.

heres the best way to search cl go to searchtempest and you can search all of the cl ads within a specified mileage range no need to go city by city

Yup searchtempest is awesome.

As for the CL searches, I have had luck with mispellings also but the best deals ive found are people who advertise "chainsaws" (plural). You wont get a hit searching "chainsaw" or "chain saw" ;)

It works on Ebay too. More people are figuring it out evryday. :biggrin:

It USED to work on eBay! A few weeks ago I thought I had a used Husvarna for $9.99 plus shipping, but it finally went for a normal eBay price. Word is out and mispellings don't matter so much anymore.

You may already know this, but you can also search for more than one spelling at a time by putting a | between the items such as: chain saw | chainsaw | chainsaws
Honda rancher | foreman
Chain grinder | sharpener

Here is the Sthil I got today for $200 (guy wouldn't budge a cent)
S6300212.jpg

na that old FB will see plenty of work. I am gonna get either a 24 or 28 BC for this 036.

I was looking on Oregons chain selector page and it had up to 28" listed. I have ran one before with a 24" and it had no problems pulling it. 24 is more than likely what I'll get since I've already seen its performance.

I was looking on Oregons chain selector page and it had up to 28" listed. I have ran one before with a 24" and it had no problems pulling it. 24 is more than likely what I'll get since I've already seen its performance.

Nice looking 036Pro you got there. I hope to come across one some day as well. I have one that I bought new. After I used up the original 18" bar, I put a 25" bar on it. And I have cut more than a few bar length trees and logs with it. It will pull it but it is really happy with an 18" or 20". Now that I have some larger saws, I run a 20" on it. I kept the 25" and some fresh chains for the occasional pinch. If you're just cutting small stuff but like the extra reach, you'll be fine. Once again nice saw. Ron

Back