My first antique saw purchase (sort of)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbabcock

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
A little over 40 years ago, in 1961, my dad bought a Sears David Bradley chainsaw so he could work the virgin woods on a piece of lakefront property he hads just purchased up in Maine. I was about 7 at the time, but I remember that the thing was big, loud and kinda scary. Later on, toward the latter part of the 60's, dad let me run the saw. I ended up gradually using the saw more than dad did throughout the 70's. After I got out of school in the late 70's, I'd use the saw to take down an occasional dying or leaning tree, but with most of the big sawing done dad bought a small Sears flat cylinder saw to take care of limbing and thinning.
Long about 1986, I remember that dad wanted a big tree taken down, but unfortunately he had sold the David Bradley at some time before that, citing that he had no further use for it. Because of this, I bought the 266 in 1987.

Over the years, I've often wondered about that old saw; if it was still running and the like. Last winter, I did a search on the web to find out if there was any information on it as I handn't seen it in about 20 years. That search was what directed me to AS. My first (and probably only serious) post here was about that saw.

Last year, I mentioned it to dad and it turns out that he happened to see the guy he sold it to the other day. It turns out that the guy's father did some work to it maybe 10 or 15 years ago and it hadn't been used since the guy's wife had bought him a smaller, modern saw a couple of years ago. At this point, I was incredulous. The saw had been running only a couple of years ago? Immediately, I drove out to meet the guy and he took me right out to his garage to see the saw. It was like finding a long lost friend. He told me he'd take $50.00 for it as seen, as is, which is what hew remembered that my father sold it to him for 20 years ago (dad thinks it was $100). He stated that as far as he knew, there was no reason that it wouldn't run after I put gas in it. So I brought it home, gassed it up, yanked on it about a dozen times and it runs! It's loud as a MF!

Specs.

I've got the original manual for it sitting right here.

1961 David Bradley 758 G Gear Drive Chain Saw
Model Number: 917.61401
Serial Number: 7323

20 " bar (standard bars were 20, 26, 32 and bow)
1/2" pitch round chain, 1/4" file dia., .040" to .050" raker depth

Engine:
Power Products AH-58
5.8 CI displacement (95 cc's)
Operating speed: 3000 to 7800 RPM
Reed valve induction
Bore and stroke: 2-3/32" X 1-11/16"
Carburetor: Tillotson 630763

Powerhead weight: 22.5 lb.
Transmission Lunbrication: dry type, two drops of oil daily
Clutch: dry centrifugal
Gear ratio: 2.30:1
Fuel/oil ratio: 1 gallon regular gas/ 3/4 pint 2 stroke oil (12:1)

Doug, nice find! Now that you've got it back I'll bet there's no parting with it! I'm looking for a Triumph T-5 Trophy just like Dad had when I was a kid. Isn't nostalgia a powerful force?

Cool story Doug. Wow, only 22.5 pounds, that's amazing for a 95 cc saw. Nothing that size under 16-17 lb today. a bit more rpm and power tho.

Uh, you had another serious post.........ummmm, remember...??

Ask Ging......

Now and then I see these old DB's and they must have had a hard time preparing the metal for paint, because many times there is absoluteley none left. Yours looks almost pristine. Good job, bringing her back must be a joy!

I have one sitting in the barn right now that is able to mount the bar on either side of the gear box...or both sides? Wouldn't that be fun at a saw contest; cutting two cookies with one stroke! Too bad the chain only turns at about 11 feet/minute with those old gear reduction monsters.

Hi Doug,
That David Bradley saw sounds interesting. Does that AH-58 engine have three or four mounting bolts where it bolts on to the frame behind the clutch, or can you see? Just wondering if it's the earlier or later model. Thanks.

Art Martin

Ah, the David Bradley. Boasting the highest weight to power ratio of any one-man saw. :)

About the surface-prep: Is it just me, or do lots of saws with metallic paint lose it awfully fast? The silver top covers on those old Jonsereds are all flakey now. The one on my big'un looks pretty bad, and this is a saw that spent most of its life in an abandoned shed.

David Bradley hot saw

Hello doug,
Nice old saw, send it out. If we massage the ports. put on a bigger carb, bump up the ign. timing, install the pipe off your 3120, reverse the gears in the gear case and have father leroy lambert bless it it should win the 6 cube class
kd

Art and Ken,
I will check on the mounting bolts tonight. I guess that back in the late 50's and early 60's, these Power Products (Tecumseh) motors were used on early karts along with the Mac's and such. This particular motor actually has a removeable head rather than the modern deadbore-type one piece cylinder and head. I think that induction is through the bottom of the crankcase (case reed)as the carb actually sits underneath the motor. Piston is a two ring unit and I can still see a nice, well defined crosshatch on the cylinder walls. No doubt, Ken could turn it into a monster, but I think I'll just keep it like it is for nostalgia's sake. I don't really intend to use it other than firing it up every once in a while. They call for about a 12:1 fuel/oil ratio as well as regular gas, but I think for light running, I can use my 32:1 high test and Maxima 927synth/castor.

Nothing brings a tear to the eye like a sappy saw story. Love lost and found again, on Golden Mill Pond.
No really, that’s cool!

Excellent looking saw Doug. I have an older D.B. saw with gear drive and the Tecumseh AH-47 engine. If your manual doesn't have a parts breakdown, you can go to www.sears.com and find a parts breakdown for your part number saw. The part numbers (for the engine parts) given in the Sears parts breakdown are actual Tecumseh part numbers. Sears probably no longer carries any parts for your saw, but you might get lucky finding an engine part with the Tecumseh part number. Finding 1/2 inch pitch chain is 'nother story.

John C.

Thanks John,
I have a full Sears manual for the saw, complete with pages that show the whole exploded views of the motor and parts list. Thanks for the tip about Tecumseh part numbers. I talked to KD yesterday about 1/2" round chain, and I guess pieces of it aren't as hard to come by compared to 1/2" chisel chain. Of course that doesn't mean you can just go out and order it either! I actually have a couple of 20" loops of chain that dad had as spares and they look real good with minimum wear. He gave the guy he sold it to a tool box with the extra chain, some spare drive links and a chain sharpener (and associated manual) that clamps onto the bar and is adjustable for different angles and heights. The file still looks pristine. Unlike today's saw manuals, the DB manual tells you how to sharpen the chain. I may even be able to find the original sales slip for it as dad has kept just about every sales slip for power equipment that he has ever bought in a notebook up in Maine. One other thing that was included was a page out of a Sears catalog, where he ordered a new 20" bar and some chain for it back in the early/mid 60's. The chains went for about $19.00 and a bar went for about $26.00. Now, considering that by most accounts there's about 8X inflation in the last 40 years, these items were pretty pricey back then. $150+ for a chain and over $200 for a guide bar in today's dollars? The saws that Uncle Art used back when he was a faller must have cost a fortune.:eek:

You have a regular museum display in the making. What does the catalog page show as the original purchase price of the saw?

Rob,
Unfortunately, the page doesn't have the saw on either side. There are a couple of electric models on it, but no gas saws. I'll bet I can find the original sales slip up at my dad's when I go up there in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back