my first climb!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my82cam

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
well, i climbed 3 trees today, first time i have ever climbed! i picked up some new buckingham spikes and saddle in a trade last month, it was a lot of fun. i had all the stuff but a chainsaw rope, so i just made one out of some rope. i took it slow, and was careful. smallest saw i have is a ms210 with a 16inch bar, i would like to get a 190t or a climber saw of some sort. the wife was happy because you can now see the front of our house! :) anyways, i was excited about it lol

Congrats on the first climb!
It is best to avoid spiking living trees, it can kill the tree and is very unprofessional. Learning to climb on ropes is not only safer, but the right way to do trims. I spiked a few living trees before I knew better, and also ended up spiking my ankle once. It woke me up to the danger that is allways there.
Be safe and have fun!

Agreed. You need ropes with spurs if something goes wrong you need a quick way down. Also it will have you covered for trim or take down.

Last edited:
well, that raises some questions from a newby than! there is no way to get a rope to the top of the cedar trees to climb with a rope, also, wouldn't it be pretty hard to get pulled to the top of the tree to trim it? i'm sure if i saw how it was supposed to be done i would understand more. lol the good thing is, most of the trees i am trimming are going to get cut down when i have more time, this was just to play around with them and learn to climb.

Yeah learn spurless also be careful to not over raise trees as it creates un-even trunk taper which can result in tree failure! If you limit it to just a view should be ok but raising twenty feet can cause problems. Then if you have not learned proper collar cut please do so.

how do you get a rope to the top of the tree? lol my spikes have removable spikes, could they be replaced with something less aggressive?

how do you get a rope to the top of the tree? lol my spikes have removable spikes, could they be replaced with something less aggressive?

You use a throw bag,ball ! After hitting a suitable crotch you tie the climb rope to the throw ball line and pull it over the crotch and down to you. Then you can tie it around the base with a bowline and ascend the other end of the line with ascenders search srt !

Congrats!

You use a throw bag,ball ! After hitting a suitable crotch you tie the climb rope to the throw ball line and pull it over the crotch and down to you. Then you can tie it around the base with a bowline and ascend the other end of the line with ascenders search srt !

Awesome! glad to hear you enjoyed the first climg so much.
You should be aware that when you put a line over a limb and terminate one end to the tree or what ever, that if you weigh 200 lbs the terminated end must pull equally as hard to counter your weight so the load on the limb now becomes a 400lb load. Twice as much as when the rope is tied to that limb or if you are running a closed loop system. Jeff Jepsons "The tree climbers companion" is about $15 bucks and it has lots of great information that would answer a lot of your questions. It would also get you familar with alot of the terms you will hear on the board-the proper ones.

Thats great. At this stage it's low and slow. Get some tree gear catalogs like sherilltree or wesspur. They have some great books and illustrations on climbing, knots and how some of their gear works. Go on youtube and look up anything you would like to know about tree climbing, felling and rigging. I like the ones from A Tree Story. Be safe and good luck.

Awesome! glad to hear you enjoyed the first climg so much.
You should be aware that when you put a line over a limb and terminate one end to the tree or what ever, that if you weigh 200 lbs the terminated end must pull equally as hard to counter your weight so the load on the limb now becomes a 400lb load. Twice as much as when the rope is tied to that limb or if you are running a closed loop system. Jeff Jepsons "The tree climbers companion" is about $15 bucks and it has lots of great information that would answer a lot of your questions. It would also get you familar with alot of the terms you will hear on the board-the proper ones.

Yeah that book would help as well as a search on srt, as I said. I personally use drt and have 27 years but I would not have a problem climbing srt because; I will select a proper limb and have at least another limb below. I would also select a rope suitable for srt. The tree climbers companion is a good read but will be better to have it and work with company to obtain a more controlled experience. Also: learn the modulous of rupture of different green wood it will help in limb selection.

Last edited:
Another good resource is youtube. I know it sounds stupid but it is a great way to observe how the pros work and get new ideas. I just started climbing as well and watching videos online is one of the ways i learned some of the techniques (as well as some "what not to do" examples lol).

not sure where you are in TN.......

But I'm back in the Knoxville area (Maryville) if you want some pointers.

I also have an MS 192t for sale. I like the new Husky better.

My cell is 865-206-8482.

Steve

Back