My first cutting jig for the chainsaw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have talked about this jig but have never taken pictures of it. I have probably milled 30 logs with this setup. I started out with the granberg rails and there system. I did not like how limiting the jig was. The log always had to be at a certain length.

Here I am leveling the square tubing. I do not have any set distance I put the tubing down on the log. I leave enough room so I can place the 2x4's on each end. Also do not put the 2x4's down below the log of the mill will hit the log.
mill80808a.jpg

mill80808b.jpg

Here I placed the 2x4's on the tubing and clamped them in.
mill80808c.jpg

mill80808d.jpg

mill80808f.jpg

mill80808g.jpg

2x4 with 2x2 for clamping
mill80808e.jpg

Set the mill depth for 5 1/2". If you go less you will hit the clamps with the chain. You can still get a board out of the first cut slab. I personally cut everything at 1 1/8" so if this isn't absolutely perfect it doesn't matter.

Chris

There is nothing more to really add. I didn't saw this chunk up. I did it as an example.

I have a few elm logs lined up to saw when it gets a little cooler out. I can wait.

I have heard about some walnut trees that people want to have taken down in town. Free of charge of course because they think the walnut is so valuable.

Chris

Please finish the lesson

Chris your homemade set up looks like something a newbie like me could try. Will you please show the chainsaw setup. Looks like some kind of a guide rides on top of the 2x4 and the saw cuts below.

"Set the mill depth for 5 1/2"" I asking for a picture of the "mill".

Thanks,
Bill

Thanks for the pics and commentary. I always get new ideas for my own milling projects when people share their knowledge.

Like the idea and might give it a shot soon. My only concern however is possible sag over longer distances - I frequently cut logs 12-16 feet long. I guess if you made sure the inside edges of the guides are resting on the log it should be OK. Have you figured out a way to be able to cut logs longer than the guide rails? Right now, I just put blocks on each end of the log, run a chalkline end-to-end and drive lag bolts into the log to the level of the line, and then move my guide board down the log as necessary. Did a 20-foot log with a 12-foot guide 2X8 this way and it was poker-straight. I guess maybe some systems are just more suited to certain applications. Not having to drive a whole bunch of leveler lags on shorter logs is a plus though.

Last edited:
If you are going longer length use a 2x6 instead of the 2x4. I have never had a problem with sag. I have had the guides move in some or flex but it wasn't enough to notice on the boards.

I have never had a reason to cut something longer then 7'. Most of my furniture uses boards less then 4'. Also cutting oak that is 10'x2'x1" becomes very heavy. That might sound like I am a puss but if I don't need the length of board I don't want to have to carry that much weight out of the woods.

Chris

If you are going longer length use a 2x6 instead of the 2x4. I have never had a problem with sag. I have had the guides move in some or flex but it wasn't enough to notice on the boards.

I have never had a reason to cut something longer then 7'. Most of my furniture uses boards less then 4'. Also cutting oak that is 10'x2'x1" becomes very heavy. That might sound like I am a puss but if I don't need the length of board I don't want to have to carry that much weight out of the woods.

Chris

Yeah, point taken. (I see your 10'X2'X1" and raise you a 16"X4"X20'!);) Right now I'm cutting mostly structural stuff like beams and 2Xs so I need the length factor. As I get my wood shop set up I'll be moving more towards your end of things, ideally. Depends on where I can make enough money to hopefully do it full-time.

...I have never had a reason to cut something longer then 7'. Most of my furniture uses boards less then 4'. Also cutting oak that is 10'x2'x1" becomes very heavy. That might sound like I am a puss but if I don't need the length of board I don't want to have to carry that much weight out of the woods.
Chris

I also don't like to mill more than 8ft long 8/4 because most wet hardwood is around 5lbs a bd ft, so the 12 inch boards start to push 100lbs at that point and thus are no fun to move/sticker/store. Unfortunately though, I do have need for some thick stock for some of the product I make and sell at shows, so I do mill a lot of heavy boards. In many cases I will then mill them only 8 inches wide, as that is the limit of my jointer. If I'm making boards for furniture I end up ripping the wide boards down to 8 inches first anyway.

My storage area allows for a 7 1/2 foot width, and I mill accordingly. Cut the logs at 8', and by the time they are trimmed, they fit the slot nicely. I don't have much use for long hardwood either.

Mark

Back