My first husky.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RATHRBCUTN

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok, so i purchased my first husky about a month ago.575xp. (Actually my first new saw ever, always used old hand me downs from my father and grandfather.) Started running amsoil in it from the get go. Thought it would be the best thing for it. Know I am hearing from a guy that I should run just regular 2-cycle oil in it till it gets broke in. What should I do? Is it to late to switch back? Do any of you guys run amsoil?
Also wondering if there are any easy mods to get more power, I only use this saw for firewood, but i have to cut enough to heat my house plus both of my grandparents houses, and my parents, plus the inlaws. Lot of work for one guy, so any help would be appreciated.

Nothing wrong with synth oil from the get go - the rumor that it isn't good is just old wives tales (may have been true once, but surely not by now)......:)

Last edited:
I definitely recommend that you do NOT use any of these "other brand" oils in the newer strato-charged engines, regardless of what claims are being made by the oil company, or some of the witch doctors here on the site. If you do not use Husky XP oil, then you must have an oil with a JASO FC, or FD rating. Red Max, Echo, Jonsered, and such are other good oils. The new equipment runs lean and hot, and they are not as tolerable of different oils as in the past.

Let the bickering begin:givebeer:

I only use this saw for firewood, but i have to cut enough to heat my house plus both of my grandparents houses, and my parents, plus the inlaws. Lot of work for one guy, so any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like you have been having fun!!:)

Synth oil is as far as this forum advises just perfect.

PLEASE do not start another synth vs. dinosaur oil thread use the search function.:cry:

:)

7sleeper

I definitely recommend that you do NOT use any of these "other brand" oils in the newer strato-charged engines, regardless of what claims are being made by the oil company, or some of the witch doctors here on the site. If you do not use Husky XP oil, then you must have an oil with a JASO FC, or FD rating. Red Max, Echo, Jonsered, and such are other good oils. The new equipment runs lean and hot, and they are not as tolerable of different oils as in the past.

Uh oh... Where's Gary? I haven't seen much of him lately. He'll set the record straight.

And congrats on the saw!

Any members use Amsoil

Yes this one runs Amsoil.At 40/1. I will continue to use this. My saws are all very happy with this mixture.Dino was great in her day, but move over synthetics are here to stay.

Ask yourself this. Will Amsoil buy you a new saw when yours melts, or will they offer you a refund of the oil price? If it were me, I'd be following the recommendations of the company warrantying the saw. It's in their best interest for your saw to perform well moreso than a company who's only stake is few pints of oil.

Ask yourself this. Will Amsoil buy you a new saw when yours melts, or will they offer you a refund of the oil price? If it were me, I'd be following the recommendations of the company warrantying the saw. It's in their best interest for your saw to perform well moreso than a company who's only stake is few pints of oil.

That's a great way to look at it. I always try follow manufacturer specs until the warranty runs out. I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially with an expensive piece of equipment.

I've been running Amsoil racing oil in my saws & dirt bike for quite a while, and I'm very happy with it - it's damn good oil in my opinion.

I'd stick with husky oil only, as long as it is on warranty.By then it will be broke in and you could run anything you want. Mark

I definitely recommend that you do NOT use any of these "other brand" oils in the newer strato-charged engines, regardless of what claims are being made by the oil company, or some of the witch doctors here on the site.

(snip)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rc3SEzZZN2U&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rc3SEzZZN2U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Anybody remember this scene from the Dan Ackroyd/Tom Hanks movie Dragnet? Fast forward to the 1:08 mark...Spike my friend...Dabney Coleman's last line here reminds me so much of you... :D :D :D (But not in THAT way...)

Last edited:
Welcome to the club. Now never touch another Stihl again.

I run XP oil in my 575 and it seems to do just fine when mixed with 93 octane from my nearest Mobil or Speedway.

I wouldn't mess with any mods to that saw until the warranty is up, except maybe a 24" Windsor Speed Tip and Woodsman PRO full comp chain, you can kick the ass of any tree that pisses you off like it just insulted your mother.

Ok, so i purchased my first husky about a month ago.575xp. (Actually my first new saw ever, always used old hand me downs from my father and grandfather.) Started running amsoil in it from the get go. Thought it would be the best thing for it. Know I am hearing from a guy that I should run just regular 2-cycle oil in it till it gets broke in. What should I do? Is it to late to switch back? Do any of you guys run amsoil?
Also wondering if there are any easy mods to get more power, I only use this saw for firewood, but i have to cut enough to heat my house plus both of my grandparents houses, and my parents, plus the inlaws. Lot of work for one guy, so any help would be appreciated.

As long as your running a good oil mixed at 50:1 your fine, just stay away from the 100:1 crap. I'm currently running Klotz R50 full synthetic @ 32:1.

...a handy piece of info! :clap: :clap:

That's a great way to look at it. I always try follow manufacturer specs until the warranty runs out. I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially with an expensive piece of equipment.

I'd stick with husky oil only, as long as it is on warranty.By then it will be broke in and you could run anything you want. Mark

:jawdrop: - sort of sounds like you want it to blow up when warranty is out........:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

:cheers:

Last edited:
I run the stihl full synthetic, works fine. I didn't buy the xp husky oil because it's a "blend." How much synthetic is in a blend?...is there a known percentage, a blend could mean any amount right?

husky XP oil

I run the stihl full synthetic, works fine. I didn't buy the xp husky oil because it's a "blend." How much synthetic is in a blend?...is there a known percentage, a blend could mean any amount right?

I love the husky XP oil......it's all I have run in my 385 from day one.......It actually runs better on this mix.....smells better too......lol:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rc3SEzZZN2U&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rc3SEzZZN2U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Anybody remember this scene from the Dan Ackroyd/Tom Hanks movie Dragnet? Fast forward to the 1:08 mark...Spike my friend...Dabney Coleman's last line here reminds me so much of you... :D :D :D (But not in THAT way...)

You're nuts! I watched this clip today at the store, along with a few others. That was a great movie.

"No mam. In fact, they're quite spectacular.":cheers:

Latest posts

Back