My First Port Job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burvol

Bullbuck
Reaction score
I've done some minor mods in the past, but have never shaved or ported anything. After a solid month of using the search function and reading some stuff online, I decided to tear into my 385. I run a 32" bar with full comp square and cut 90% or more Doug Fir. I was looking for a little more torque. My saw is about a year old with a little over a full, hard season on it, burning 10 gallons or close to it a week. I figured it was time to try my luck.

I shaved the head 10 thousands & put another base gasket back in, raised the exhaust a tiny bit & widened a lot. I polished it to mirror finish with several fine grits of sand paper (320-400 grit) and then scotch brite.

I lowered the intake a tiny amount, widened, and removed all of the casting flaws. The intake was horrible, big lines, un-even sides, and two large ridges running all the down. I opened up the side the boot clamps on and brought it into my newly shaped port.

I finished it up with a dual port on the muffler.

I took it to work today to do some real testing and it was awesome. back barring was so much easier, it was nuts. The saw just keeps pulling and pulling. My other 385 was modded by a shop, but I would say 07' my saw is right there with- the dual port helps alot plus it sounds #####in. :greenchainsaw: I'm flippin' hooked now! Every once in a while a blind squirrel finds an acorn!
Tree Slinger and Jacob J. gave me some advice, and I thank you both. You guys were both helpful and prompt in your responses. Now your screwed, cause I'll ask you again. Maybe I'll mod my 460 that I always complain about now and use it for tower ground with my reduced weight bar. I did end up with a turd 460, it just never cut from the get. I have ran others that would smoke it, both stock and the same chain. I'll be onto that this winter.

Last edited:
You had me all fired up, thought i was going to see one of those step by step pictorial instructional masterpieces that this site is famous for.:clap:
It takes nuts to jump off into some of this stuff.........Good Job!

RD

Here's a picture, just not of a cylinder....

DSCF2137.jpg

Shot him opening day of rifle season. I missed bow season for several reasons, so rifle would have to do. I went to a spot that I have always known mature bucks hole up in. Blacktails are territorial, somewhat predictible animals if you can find their comfort zones. I snuck up to with in a log length above him on the rock face. Base of the head/neck shot (35-40) feet. He was in and out of a nap with his head bobbing ever so slight. Talk about tender. Man he is tender!

Last edited:
Pretty much smack dab in the range. We have pockets of blacktails all over both sides, but mostly western. This was one of those spots that has a few pockets of oak in it, on the lower end of a big drainage.

How about I send you my 385 power head and you can do a step by step on it! Heck, I won't charge you that much either!

Burvol,
Nice porting job,:clap: your story makes me want to port mine.:chainsaw:

Try it, you might be surprised. I was. After I saw how bad the flaws were in my intake, I figured I had to do better than that:cheers:

Back