My first real saw..Stihl MS 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skmag357

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
CIMG5577.jpg

So I got into wood burning this year and now I am addicted. Year and a half ago, I bought 14" Shindaiwa 357 to cut up a pine tree that fell in my yard. At the time, I wanted to buy a Stihl but didn't have the money. Bought my Jotul stove last fall and bought a huskee 22 ton splitter on black friday. I burned through 5 cords of wood this year and kept the house nice and warm. After cutting up some ash two weekends ago, I decided it was time for a new saw. Found this almost new ms 361 with a 20" and a 25" bar, 3 chains, a case, synthetic stihl oil, and chain oil for $500. After reading a number of posts on here about the 361 and how it was getting harder to find them, I snatched this one up. The guy bought it to start a wood splitting business but ended up bailing when his supplier couldn't get him enough wood. I was more than happy to take it off his hands...can't wait to put it to use :greenchainsaw:

That's a great deal on a great saw. Enjoy it! :cheers:

:agree2: Lucky S.O.B. Enjoy it, that's a hell of a saw. Had a similar opportunity (for about $550) awhile back but I didnt have the money at the time to swing it with 2 new kids,... Almost tradeda gun for it. Shoulda traded the gun then made my money back and bought another one.:chainsaw:

Welcome to the 361 club. You will find that saw will do 90% of what you need to cut. I would not put the 25" bar on for everyday use, but for occasional use it will be fine. Now go cut some wood:hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

Best one saw plan going.

Enjoy your saw, read up on the 361 on this site and it will give you years of trouble free service.

Congrats!

Did anyone else notice the whiteout isnt even gone from the muffler yet?:jawdrop:.....what a deal!!!!

Welcome to the 361 club. You will find that saw will do 90% of what you need to cut. I would not put the 25" bar on for everyday use, but for occasional use it will be fine. Now go cut some wood:hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

:agree2:

You did good. I got a 361 about 2 yrs ago and it still impresses all my wood cutting buddies. I use a 20 inch bar with RSC chain and couldn't be happier.

Good choice

I read these threads, and really enjoy , because usually they fit my experience, or I learn a lot.

I will just mention that my, over twenty year old 360 is my "grab" saw, over a 260, and several Husqvarna's.

It has even been run over by a truck tire, needing a salvaged bottom plate and new bar.

If you run good gas/oil and decent bar oil, they will last forever. Make sure you blow the dust off the fins and clean the air filter after every use.

Thanks guys....I don't take down a lot of trees..just use the saw mostly for cutting up firewood that has already been cut. I will run the saw with the 20" blade as it is much bigger than 14" and the 25" for the real big stuff. My wife was giving me so bs about spending this much on a saw but I told her that this saw should last me a good number of years and that it was a good deal....

Every time I use my 361 it just puts a smile on my ugly mug. The damn thing is just a pleasure to run.......

RD

Every time I use my 361 it just puts a smile on my ugly mug. The damn thing is just a pleasure to run.......

RD
+1. I used to run and still own a 1977 McCulloch PM 610, and now I fear that I may never start it again. I even bought a Mac 605 ten years ago at a garage sale just to have spare parts for the 610, and now both of them are essentially in moth balls. The MS 361 delivers 30% more horsepower and weighs 30% less.

The Stihl MS 361 Rocks!

+1. I used to run and still own a 1977 McCulloch PM 610, and now I fear that I may never start it again. I even bought a Mac 605 ten years ago at a garage sale just to have spare parts for the 610, and now both of them are essentially in moth balls. The MS 361 delivers 30% more horsepower and weighs 30% less.

The Stihl MS 361 Rocks!

I run a MS 310/20" for mosst of my cutting and the MS361/25" for falling/bucking big stuff (alsohave a 28" skiptooth for the really big ones - pulls it fairly well). Weight? The 361 feels like a feather after I have been horsign around the 310 for a couple hours.

Harry K

Beefie

+1 I run it with a 16in. but I have other saws 18-20in. is more like it with a one saw plan!

Great deal on a great saw. I run mine with an 18" bar and find I am goin' to it more than the 372XP because it will cut almost anything that needs cuttin' around here and has real good power to weight. You're goin' to love it.

Back