My First Tree Work Video.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wondered how you'd do that - actually taking the top out of a tree while you're up it - the potential for mischief is self-evident. how do you avoid getting speared, thumped or pulled off the tree by it?

Don't flop a top into a nearby tree causing it to not release clean from the tree you're in. A sufficient cut must be chosen and executed well as to not allow the stem to split, peel down, or barberchair.

Topping puts the climber right in the heat of the action, can't afford a mistake there.

Don't flop a top into a nearby tree causing it to not release clean from the tree you're in. A sufficient cut must be chosen and executed well as to not allow the stem to split, peel down, or barberchair.

Topping puts the climber right in the heat of the action, can't afford a mistake there.

There isn't anywhere to go when your strapped in up there. About the only option you got is pivoting yourself around the stem and that ain't much if anything at all.

I think I'll avoid it for now. I've topped small trees by hand, putting in a couple of bowsaw cuts before retreating back down the ladder and hauling it out with a rope, but actually dropping it off while up there is another thing entirely, especially 50/60 feet up. I think I'll recognise my limits and stay within them.

Latest posts

Back