My Free Plastic Fantastic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brinkwolf

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A few years ago my wife came home from helping her cousin at an outdoor show at a little feed store down the street. She walked thru the door and said, I won a door prize for you. I said what did you get me and she replied a new chain saw. Well it ended up being a John Deere CS36 with a 14" bar and chain. It came with no case or manual or even a wrench but I figured What the heck it's free. I had two saws so I let a neighbor/goodfriend borrow it for cutting his firewood for his BBQ pit. He had also used it for clean-up after Ike came thru. Well I managed a couple of days ago to get it back. Well after alot of cleaning and installing a new plug and new chain I can say that this little saw fires on the first pull everytime(she purrs like a kitten). Sometimes good things do come for free.:cheers:

:greenchainsaw:

Nice little saw!!!

This older gentleman I cut wood with has a JD 45ev . He is 78 years old and has a ball with that thing....It is the older generation JD,runs slow,,but alot of torque !!! Always impressed me how it starts....

About two years ago my brother asked me to help him get his chainsaw (a Homelite 340 with a 20" bar) going after it had been sitting in the back of his shed for years. He had tried to start it several times without any success and also said when he last had it cutting it wouldn't cut straight.

When he bought it round it was covered in gunk, but after cleaning it up, apart from the rusting bar, it looked like it had hardly ever been used. I dumped the old mix, rinsed out the gas tank with raw gas and then added fresh mix - it fired up after about the 3rd pull. The next thing I noticed was although the chain was hardly used it was very wobbly in the groove, sure enough, 050 chain on an 063 bar - this was why it was cutting crooked!

New 050 bar, couple of new low profile chains, quick tune up and we went out for a firewood cutting session. My brother was amazed at how well it cut and when it was all over, he gave me the saw - he said it would be better looked after at my place as long as he could borrow it once a year to get his firewood. I have used that little saw quite a bit since then, I even use it for milling short logs up to 16" diam with my small mill.

Back