My Homebuilt Bandmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good. Great job. That should mill some wood. Great pics too.

The dogs/clamps use the 2x5 bunk rungs to slide on, the clamp uses an eccentric/cam design, a piece of square solid stock aluminum for the stationary dog. It is a simple basic design but it seems to hold the logs well. I will post pics soon. MNWoody

Thanks for the pics.

Electric ? Why 2 motors ? How much juice required ?

Closeup of guides ?

Looks like a sensible design. I'm thinking of building a mill someday.

I built an electric mill because it will be stationary and electric is much more efficient then gas. The reason for two 5 hp motors is that I have single phase power, to start a 10 horse on single phase is really hard on the other electric devices. The two 5 hp motors are hi torque and draw 28 amps each, so the motors have separate switches for start up, making it much easier on the other electrical devices. The efficiency of electric motors is much greater then gas, electric motors can do the work of 2.5 times that of gas, therefore 10 electric hp is equal to 25 gas hp.

For the guides, I used an old trailer axle, it is 1 1/4" solid square stock, I had the local fab shop cut down the hubs (wheel stud holes) into guides. We will see how long they last with the speed that they turn. I have more pics on DIY Bandmill.

Home Built Bandsaw Bandmill - Build your own Bandsaw Sawmill - MNWoody 010

Last edited:
Homebuilt Bandmill

My mill is just about completed, it has been a year long project. I have done a small amount of sawing and everything seems to work really well, thanks to all that have led the way and shared their knowledge. MNWoody

Very nice work! Hope to see some wood in it some day. Have fun with it and be safe.

I wish I had seen this sooner! I've been gathering parts for my own mill and I finally bought some guides from Cook's. That idea with the hubs is GREAT they should last a long time and be cheap to replace the bearings in when they do wear out.
Do you think you put enough bunks?

Last edited:
Home Built Bandsaw Bandmill - Build your own Bandsaw Sawmill - sawmill 007

The 2 motor setup is real simple as long as the motors are the same rpm. I attached a pic from DIY Bandmill of the setup, one motor gets a two groove pulley the other gets a single groove. I used two 50 amp hot tub type switches ($15 each Menards) so each motor is switched separately. The heavy copper wire is a little spendy (soow 4/4).

One thing I did not explain about the bandmill is that it takes blades from 158" up to 204". I built it so I can cut cookies from stumps, I think it will cut up to a 52" stump. MNWoody

Good looking Mill

That is a good looking homemade mill, would you share the cost of it with us, I build one too, just finished it made of scrap steel that I had up here, I still have 2,500.00 in it ....trying to finish the log turner this week, and then back sawing again, I have tested and it run good and cut on the money........40 hp air cooled engine, and you ride it.....I wanted to let you know that yours looks good...........you'll love it when you cut.

I have it set up about 60 feet from the pole so i have to buy 100 feet of 4/4 soow (soft copper cable/wire) . That with the pole outlet is going to be another $500, for a total of around $3000. That is still a substantial amount of money but a comparable capacity mill (52" x 27') is over $25,000 and still a manual mill. It would be nice to have a power seater but maybe the exercise is also good, I don't need production, I am building a timber frame greenhouse, another metal pole building and plan on doing small (big log) custom sawing jobs. I have a skid steer to move the logs to the future staging rack that will hold the logs until I roll them to the mill deck. I hope to go fall some tamarack trees this week and get my wire ordered. MNWoody

Good looking Mill

you don't have to much in it, I see the cost, and know from mine what things cost, I have some logs 44 inches across and want to see them on it,,,,,,but I also want to make this do the work so I don't have to.....I am 60 now, not getting any younger so I need it to be a easy mill to work and produce, mainly for my own needs, but I would cut some special stuff for others if can agree on a price , good for them, and good for me.......I don't want the whole pie, just a piece of it.............

I am going to try to do my milling in the cooler seasons so I don't have to deal with the heat of the summer. My Wife and I own a cabinet business which is quite a physical occupation, I am 49 years old with a touch of MS and I want to stay moving (manual mill) until the day comes when I need to put a seat on the mill and just ride. There is nothing like self sufficiency like building your own mill, milling your own material, and then building your projects. I am a grateful man. MNWoody

Good looking Mill

Looks like we are 2 hrs. apart....I am retired so I'll cut when ever I feel like it, plus I do alot of gardening, last year kept me busy from all the planting and then the harvest....we were blessed,,,,,gave I don't how much away to friends, there for a while I was the best ....Looking for another good year in 2013....Merry Christmas to you and your family, do you ever chat on facebook? Maybe we could carry it over on that,,,,,,,,always good to have a new friend.

Latest posts

Back