My homemade OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

As far as the pressure testing, I just used a low pressure gauge. In the firebox I tapped a hole for a air quick connect and filled it. Then shut the valve off and made sure it held 15psi.

best way to test water applications...
when i made mine, and in the process of my 2nd one, i attack it with a soap suds...

the gasket bubbled al ittle, but 15psi is different then natural draft vacuum...

I agree with the soap suds. I should have mentioned that I also did that. After my intial fill I would spray every weld, once I thought I had all leaks stopped I would let if sit 24hr. My gauge only went to 20-25 psi so I could notice even a little drop in pressure over that period of time. I don't know if it was needed but it made me sleep better knowing it help pressure that long. I was worried maybe a very small slow leak would sneak by with only using soap.

i had many super tiny pin holes, the kind that bubble so tiny and so slow, the sud bubbles were so tiny you couldn't see they were bubbles, a thousand could fit on a pen tip, almost like a solid white glob...looked like shaving cream.

those never leaked water, anything that i found too excessive i just peened closed with a punch.

my next firebox is almost 6' tall, and 3.5 wide and 3.5 deep, 8-10 psi is gonna be kinda high for the amount of area/brace/reinforce ratio

this next one i'm going to pressure test the firebox first, weld it into the water jacket, then test the wj cavity....

Last edited:
i had many super tiny pin holes, the kind that bubble so tiny and so slow, the sud bubbles were so tiny you couldn't see they were bubbles, a thousand could fit on a pen tip, almost like a solid white glob...looked like shaving cream.

those never leaked water, anything that i found too excessive i just peened closed with a punch.

my next firebox is almost 6' tall, and 3.5 wide and 3.5 deep, 8-10 psi is gonna be kinda high for the amount of area/brace/reinforce ratio

this next one i'm going to pressure test the firebox first, weld it into the water jacket, then test the wj cavity....

Good lord, why so big!?! You going to be heating all of Texas or something?

Almost!!!!

Good lord, why so big!?! You going to be heating all of Texas or something?

house#1 2000sq ft
plus dhw and indoor hot tub & cloths dryer
house#2 2200 sq ft
plus dhw & clothes dryer
both houses in the baths i made & installed a time delay hand dryer like you see in public restrooms, it's totally bad ass, i love 'em.

garage for the vehicles and my '04 yz450f, like to keep that around 45-50* in the winter, it's a 18x20

shop1, 44x26
shop2, 40x60 w/22ft ceiling

also into sandblasting equipment for farmers, thought about making some sort of huge framework to move hot water so i can dry sand year around....

need more BTU's, while keeping it only 1 OWB to feed instead of 6 in door burning hazards........ :)

couple years ago we blew nearly $9000 a year in propane, and didn't enjoy the 'heat'.

Here are some specs.

In some pics you can see a 6” pipe running horizontal from the firebox through the water and out through the water jacket. It is plugged off right now but I plan on fitting it with a waste oil system later. Central Boiler sells one with that option and I have a friend who has one. He purchased the waste oil system from a guy in Indiana and loves it.

Let me know if you have any more questions. QUOTE ]

Excellant job

You got my attention about the waste motor oil as I have been collecting and filtering for years and I am curious how that system works on your set up .

Wast Oil System

I still have not moved any farther on the waste oil system. It will most likely be another year or so when I purchase it. If I think of it I will take some pics of my buddys setup. Its pretty slick. He made a ss preheater that uses hot water from the boiler. He mentioned that the gentlemen he bought it from now has one that uses a byproduct from making biodiesel. I dont know much about it just that whatever this byprouduct is it isnt worth much to anybody yet and you can get it real cheap.

I was wondering if the 6 inch pipe stores the waste oil ( heating it as it passes underneath ) or was it actually firing the boiler in the actual chamber??

The unit is about a 15" cube with a 6" pipe that will hook up to mine. The unit has small orfices that will atomize the waste oil and spray thru my tube and into the firebox. I'll have to take a pic when his is going with the door open. Its a just a big a$$ flame that fills the front of the firebox. It uses compressed air to inject the oil in. The unit hooks up to your aquastat so it only burns when it calls for heat. It has its own igniter to get the flame burning. If anybodys would like the contact info for the guys that makes these I will get if from my friend.

I still have not moved any farther on the waste oil system. It will most likely be another year or so when I purchase it. If I think of it I will take some pics of my buddys setup. Its pretty slick. He made a ss preheater that uses hot water from the boiler. He mentioned that the gentlemen he bought it from now has one that uses a byproduct from making biodiesel. I dont know much about it just that whatever this byprouduct is it isnt worth much to anybody yet and you can get it real cheap.

I'm curious about this waste product from biodiesel. We have a big biodiesel plant just down the road so this might be an option for me.

Any more info you can provide would be much appreciated.

Mr. HE:cool:

I would definaely be interested in seeing what he is doing, and getting the contact.

I currently have a oil burner converted to burn WMO using the siphon system that also uses compressed air to help atomize the oil.

Most people using that set up just convert a oil burner boiler and not many seem to be using an existing OWB .

I have been experimenting burning WMO in the OWB to some degree of success and I am always interested in different set ups utilizing WMO.

thanks

Some night this week i'll stop by his place and get some more info and take pics. If I happen to get busy and forget just keep hounding me! Send me a pm or something to remind me.

Don't that beer get warm? :hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously...Outstanding job on the OWB!!! :clap::cheers:

I would definaely be interested in seeing what he is doing, and getting the contact.

I currently have a oil burner converted to burn WMO using the siphon system that also uses compressed air to help atomize the oil.

Most people using that set up just convert a oil burner boiler and not many seem to be using an existing OWB .

I have been experimenting burning WMO in the OWB to some degree of success and I am always interested in different set ups utilizing WMO.

thanks

So when adding the Waste oil burner to a OWB can you use the wood and have it switch to Oil backup?

Or could you use wood and then flip a switch to oil if you are going to be away?

gg

Here are some pics of his setup. Currently it is not running he is making some changes so not everything was there. The electric motor on top of the tank runs a mixer in the tank to keep the different oils from seperating. It is controlled by the plc he has. I think that also controls the pump, mixer, and preheater.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back