My log skidder.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OH_Varmntr

Burner of stored sunlight
Reaction score
Been working on clearing this ditchline for some time now. Now all I have to do is skid the trees out of the ditch so I can limb them and haul the logs out.

I don't have a tractor, but I do have an 02 Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4 atv but it's nowhere near heavy enough for the bigger trees. Once I have the logs ready to load on my trailer my buddy is bringing his skid-steer up so we can use it but for now, I'm using my truck.

It's an 01 Ram 2500 with the HO 5.9L Cummins, 4.10 gears and a 6-spd manual trans. I've got 50HP injectors in it for a little help down low. In 4-Lo 1st gear it's only good for about 3mph and the truck weighs 7100lbs empty on the scale, but with my 5th wheel hitch, toolbox and my chains and choker cable, she's closer to 8000lbs. Plenty heavy to pull the stuff I'm dealing with.

Using 3/8 chains with safety hooks on both ends to hook to my d-rings I welded on my truck. Found a spool of 5/8 steel cable behind my grandpas shop and made a choker out of it and snap my chain to the choker.

3cd922b2.jpg

Video of my wife driving. Once she got used to driving the truck, it was her first time, things went smoothly.

Right on! That is a nice truck, Love the dual smoke stacks! Is that legal in your area to have those stacks ?

Thanks! Yes, they are perfectly legal around here. Hood stacks, however, are not legal on the roads.

As long as the folks around here that have stacks on their pickups refrain from blowing black smoke on the roads I'm sure they'll continue to be legal. It's the idiots around here that fill intersections will black smoke and be stupid in their trucks that will get them frowned upon.

Many places around the country are now ticketing people who blow smoke on the streets because they're becoming a nuisance.

Here's a little better pic.
f6980388.jpg

Pretty sweet, Stacks are pretty cool on a truck! I got a Toyota that is in the " Wood Hauler " thread you will have to check out :)

Nice! Had a friend that had a few Toys like that, but the frames were known to rust in half behind the cabs.

Thanks! Yes, they are perfectly legal around here. Hood stacks, however, are not legal on the roads.

As long as the folks around here that have stacks on their pickups refrain from blowing black smoke on the roads I'm sure they'll continue to be legal. It's the idiots around here that fill intersections will black smoke and be stupid in their trucks that will get them frowned upon.

Many places around the country are now ticketing people who blow smoke on the streets because they're becoming a nuisance.

Hmm. That's about par for the corse. My 12 valve is set up to pull a load, and you can't keep it from smoking.

Andy

Hmm. That's about par for the corse. My 12 valve is set up to pull a load, and you can't keep it from smoking.

Andy

It's idiots who bought diesels JUST to blow smoke and screw off on the streets that are hurting it for those who actually bought their diesels to work. Mine doesn't smoke unless I load it down, but once some funds clear up it's getting a few hundred more HP put to the ground and will smoke more.

Back