My new 362 powerhead and questions????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
well , there i was minding my own business looking at the new stihls while waiting on a price for a new coil for my 036. the man looks up from the puter and says 160 for the coil and i asked what type of space mineral or UNUBTAINIUM the sucker was hand carved by by 5th generation craftsmen on a mountaintop in lictenstein

so then i ask the nice man how much for the shiny 362 with no bar or chain and he says 600

so... should i have bought the coil instead ?
and which 325 sprocket should i throw on the new saw?

bought an ebay coil for 30 bucks this morn ....

A 362 will pull a 3/8th chain with authority. They're pretty mean with a 20" bar and 3/8th chain. If you're just wanting to run .325 then go for it, but I think it'll cut faster with 3/8th.

I think you made a good purchase. I like the 362 alot. Just run the crap out of it and it'll gain power as you go. It takes at least 25 tanks to wake one up completely. They respond really well to muffler mods.

If you purchased the 036 new, the coil is lifetime warrantied. If not get a used one for 25.00 or so.

List price on the 0000 400 1300 coil is....$112.35....

He wanted how much?:msp_thumbdn::msp_thumbdn:

160 with tax
this place thinks that they are the only game in town and try to get over list price for everything, i honestly dont know how they stay in business
and like a dummy i keep going in there to get prices cause they are close to home but i walk out real fast like a straight guy at a gay bar

maybe they'll learn ---or i will.

3/8 is the only way to go with most saws, especially saws over 50cc.

Don't know if the cutters on .325 are 20% smaller than 3/8 RSC, it was pretty darn close when I checked. Nevertheless they are a little smaller and more importantly they're lower.:cheers:

The .325 tooth is at least 20% smaller, significant in my book.

yup,
Smaller cutter, narrower kerf, faster speed, more cutters/foot of chain. Lots to like there. That's why (on the same saw) .404 is faster than 1/2", 3/8" is faster than .404, and .325 is faster than 3/8". Then there's 1/4"!

I run 3/8" on all my saws except the limbing saws which are on lowpro, and an 026 which runs .325. I've got an 036 running 3/8" with an 18" bar, but it's no speed demon. The 026 will outcut it a lot of the time with the smaller chain. They're both healthy well tuned saws with plenty of compression. Nobody would run 3/8" on an 026, it would slow it down too much. I've sometimes wondered if that 036 would be a whole different kettle of fish on .325, but I like having all my saws on the same chain.

Shaun

well my ebay coil is lost in the mail for the 036, hopefully the postal service will find it or tell the shipper to send me another coil
the 036 ran real good , did a full rebuild about 30 to 50 tanks ago and just did the carbs and fuel and impulse when it started to stall on me

cant wait to run side by side 036/362 test cuts

yup,
Smaller cutter, narrower kerf, faster speed, more cutters/foot of chain. Lots to like there. That's why (on the same saw) .404 is faster than 1/2", 3/8" is faster than .404, and .325 is faster than 3/8". Then there's 1/4"!

I run 3/8" on all my saws except the limbing saws which are on lowpro, and an 026 which runs .325. I've got an 036 running 3/8" with an 18" bar, but it's no speed demon. The 026 will outcut it a lot of the time with the smaller chain. They're both healthy well tuned saws with plenty of compression. Nobody would run 3/8" on an 026, it would slow it down too much. I've sometimes wondered if that 036 would be a whole different kettle of fish on .325, but I like having all my saws on the same chain.

Shaun

I run 3/8" on my 260 with no problems at all.:smile2:

yup,

Shaun

That it true, if you're talking about a saw that does'nt have enough power to pull a bigger chain. If the saw has plenty of power to pull a 3/8th chain then it'll cut faster with 3/8th than it will .325. It takes a bigger bite with each tooth. Just like a saw that can pull a .404 will cut faster than it would with 3/8th.
A 60cc saw will cut faster with 3/8th than it will with .325. I've ran both and that was my findings anyways.

Latest posts

Back