My new business.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tickhound93

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey all, just wanted to vent/ get ideas/ fill you all in on what I got going on. This year is the year inooen my new shop, I've been doing carpentry work for a family friend to earn cashbto make my business go. As of late, carpentry has been slow, with a bleak outlook for the next month. Even when we were busy, I never put in a 40,hour week due to lack of planning on my bosses part. So I've pretty much decided to start on my own now, even without being in my new building. Some of you may have noticed a large increase in my for sale ads. I fix and flip saws locally a lot, and the money isn't bad. On Thursday I took a trip to the local stihl dealer and explained what was going on, so we worked out a deal, I will fix some customer saws, as well as fix up trade ins and try tonget as much out of them as I can, that is where my 038 mag deuce on the trading post came from. He is also allowing me to hunt through the scrap pile and sell parts, and we will split the profit. I now have access to a lot of stuff, and I will be downloading a bunch of stuff on as. I am also wondering if I should start selling on the bay? Take this saw for example, runs good, but looks like hell, am I better off parting it out?14548657344261382037547.jpg
Its going to be tough going, making money on this stuff isn't going to be easy but I gotta try it. Soon I will have a 660 for sale here, as well as a ton of parts/ saws. I also get all of the old cylinders the dealer replaces, soni will be cleaning some of those up and selling them. I also sharpen chains for customers and do cycle/ATV work, but that won't be in full swing until this spring. I need some pointers guys, I'm still kinda reeling over my current financial situation, but I'm determined to make it work. I'm only 22 years old, sonim.looking for some guidance, and some sales! Ha. Any input would definitely help me out, I know how to fix saws, but how to make money on junkers and parts? Thanks for listening all.

The better stuff looks the easier it is to sell. No one cares for how it runs if the looks are great.

well, from one who knows... Best Wishes and Good Luck! determination and attitude count for a lot. it's expected u can fix a saw. big smiles! population will matter. small town, bigger risk, large town, just a risk! but today, national markets are not unobtainable... reputation is everything... always - big smiles! and remember:

the customer is both King and... always right!!! ;)

DO:

keep accurate records
do your DBA, otherwise u will be perceived as hobby shop
keep clean with the state
keep clean with the feds
pay ur taxes - and on time
know your tax compliance regs and obligations
read and study successful ways to grow a business
good customer service
wear something professional looking while at work!
keep a clean shop and showroom.
goal: grow to become a Dealer!
court your opportunities
expect success!
and: more!

Don't:

not heed above
hire outside services; do ur own bookkeeping, single line entry ok for starting out
toss invoices
not give invoices
PO customers ;)
do bad customer service
and: more!

also: plenty good books at library and online as guides for starting a sole-proprietorship type business.

most start-ups fail with in 7 years! time is on your side. you have everything going for you ... so just go do it! :)

and remember the motto of all successful businesses:

Sell... Sell... and Sell some more! it's all about sales, everything else comes 2nd. not much counts if u got no sales... ;)

or not enough! ~

I'll throw out some advice. Regarding the MS210 in the pic, that's not a bad looking saw, it's a dirty saw. Cleaning stuff up will add value.
Parting stuff out will almost always yield better return on investment than fixing and selling it. You'll have to decide how you best want to spend your time. eBay sucks frequently but for selling parts there's no better venue. Shipping is expensive, figure out how to price competitively and ship inexpensively. Most are looking at cost of item plus shipping. If something is going to go into a flat rate box or envelope, include shipping in the price. (ie, "free shipping")
Whenever you sell something, people are going to expect a warranty of some sort, even if you say there isn't one. That's why parting items is sometimes advantageous. You are in a need to generate revenue. You can fix saws as you have time but if you have the parts, getting a bunch of them listed will give you an income stream. It does take a lot of time to make good eBay listings but it seems like you may have that available right now.

One other thing, make sure you get a business license from your county/city/municipality. This does two things, one is that it legitimizes your business.
The other thing is that you won't get yourself into a situation where you get "shut down" by not being in compliance with zoning or other ordinances. If you're not in a situation where you can legally run an OPE (apparently even though this site is all about it, you can't use the initials for outdoor power equipment on it??) repair business, then change the situation or re-think your endeavor...
If you need to get a sales tax license too, get it.

There's no reason you can't run an OPE business and still do some construction too. You know a rainy day can stop construction but won't keep you from listing used parts on the computer or fixing a saw or trimmer...

If you're not in a situation where you can legally run an *** (apparently even though this site is all about it, you can't use the initials for outdoor power equipment on it??) repair business, then change the situation or re-think your endeavor...

Site owner paranoia has caused the term O*P*E to be banned on this forum.

If u have a lot of over head saws and Etc will not do much. mowers are where the money is

Hey all, just wanted to vent/ get ideas/ fill you all in on what I got going on. This year is the year inooen my new shop, I've been doing carpentry work for a family friend to earn cashbto make my business go. As of late, carpentry has been slow, with a bleak outlook for the next month. Even when we were busy, I never put in a 40,hour week due to lack of planning on my bosses part. So I've pretty much decided to start on my own now, even without being in my new building. Some of you may have noticed a large increase in my for sale ads. I fix and flip saws locally a lot, and the money isn't bad. On Thursday I took a trip to the local stihl dealer and explained what was going on, so we worked out a deal, I will fix some customer saws, as well as fix up trade ins and try tonget as much out of them as I can, that is where my 038 mag deuce on the trading post came from. He is also allowing me to hunt through the scrap pile and sell parts, and we will split the profit. I now have access to a lot of stuff, and I will be downloading a bunch of stuff on as. I am also wondering if I should start selling on the bay? Take this saw for example, runs good, but looks like hell, am I better off parting it out?View attachment 484350
Its going to be tough going, making money on this stuff isn't going to be easy but I gotta try it. Soon I will have a 660 for sale here, as well as a ton of parts/ saws. I also get all of the old cylinders the dealer replaces, soni will be cleaning some of those up and selling them. I also sharpen chains for customers and do cycle/ATV work, but that won't be in full swing until this spring. I need some pointers guys, I'm still kinda reeling over my current financial situation, but I'm determined to make it work. I'm only 22 years old, sonim.looking for some guidance, and some sales! Ha. Any input would definitely help me out, I know how to fix saws, but how to make money on junkers and parts? Thanks for listening all.
If you have any parts for a old husky 372, I'm also in the ringer of starting up on my own and of course my only bigger saw left is now acting real tired, my 395 and my 500i got stolen out of my shop. Can't afford squat RN of course too perfect timing.

Back