my new chainsaw project. another free saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice find! Its nice to have a little saw, handy! I use a little Homey for trimming trees- while in a big tractor bucket! Works great! Thanks!

ok i got the saw up and running, but i still have a few parts left to get. one thing that ive been looking for is the handle bar assembly. wouldnt a POULAN MICRO XXV handlebar fit this saw as well? looks like it should, but instead of having a sloped handlebar, the craftsman is more of a square profile. I just wanted to check to make sure if anyone had any experience replacing one with the other.

i see a whole handlebar assembly used for sale online for less than 15 bucks, but its for the XXV.

This little saw runs good, although i need to tune it some more, still learning on that one, seems like it doesnt come back down to idle very fast, i have to bump it to get it back off a high idle. also, when i tune the high rpm mix under full throttle, if i tune it where it sounds nice and clean...as soon as i let off the trigger it will die. i still need to get a air filter for it, and that little sponge under the throttle linkage is falling apart...not even sure what its purpose is. But its coming together! i want to thank you guys for all your help.

View attachment 295704

View attachment 295705

It appears the same size as the poulan 2300 or craftsman 2.3. Plenty of spare parts on ebay for those saws.

It appears the same size as the poulan 2300 or craftsman 2.3. Plenty of spare parts on ebay for those saws.

i found a handlebar that says its for craftman 2.0, and it says that on the bar, but the description just says it fits "358.355061 and other models". mine is a 355161, im still learning this game and i dont know when and where the changes start to happen. i believe i may buy it.

You could always go to the searspartsdirect site and compare the two parts and part numbers via the IPL's.

ok got the handlebar worked out, and ordered, it is supposed to fit.

now about the carb, what is a fella to look for if a rebuild kit is in order? i thought i had this thing idling right, and tuned where it will plane out good, but its really gotta be warm for it to idle correctly. i can come back an hour later, and really have to baby it to keep it idling. I actually got it running kinda rough on the high side i think, because if i left it tuned where it sounds best, it will eventually die after about 5 or 6 seconds on full throttle. here is a few videos so you guys can put your ear on it, first one is the before, second one is the after.

the before video is where i think it sounds best and cleanest but something else might be going on because you can tell it will sound like its kicking into a higher gear shortly after you start even though the throttle didnt change, but it will self terminate after a few seconds if you leave it there. second vid is with it dialed back a little but it will take full throttle ok, but its rougher when cold. i might be messing it up with the rag in the intake too restricting air almost like a choke. but i had just blown a bunch of saw dust off the bench before this and i my filter hasnt came in the mail yet.

tell me what you guys think. is the cold nature of it just normal or is it a symptom of a deteriorating carb? like i said it seems to idle fine after it really warm, but i havent put it to work yet so that may not even hold up.

[video=youtube;DVoXTLiSIlg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVoXTLiSIlg[/video]

That carb probably takes a Walbro K10-WAT(full repair kit, new screen, gaskets, diaphragms, etc.) or Walbro D10-WAT(gaskets and diaphragms only). You'll have to find the carb model number(on the side of the carb). It will read something like WA20, WT19A, or something similar. You can find all the info on the walbro site. That said, remember to insert a "-" between the two letters and the numbers behind it. In other words, the examples above would actually be WA-20 or WT-19A.

Back