my "new" farm boss 038 AVS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petec

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
new to me, anyway. it says made in west germany on it, which i suspect dates it as being close to 20 years old, or older.

don't really have a history on it. bought it at a garage sale a while back.

put some reasonably fresh 50-1 mix in it and after a minute or two of cranking it started. it stumbled for a bit but then started reving decently.

started cutting a log but within a few seconds of runnnig under load it bogs and stalls. it will restart immediately, but, just doesn't seem to want to run under load. also if i give it full throttle with no load, it initially revs smoothly, then starts to break up a bit.

it seems happiest if i just continually blip the throttle.

i suspect i have a too rich condition as running under load causes it to run richer (I think). i might have that backwards as i am in no way a two stroke engine expert.

any tips on what maintenance i should do would be appreciated. for the few moments it does cut, it seems to cut well. a hell of a lot better than my POS big orange box store poulan does.

Could be something as simple as the gaskets in the carb being hardened from sitting. However, your symptoms could be from a multitude of issues. Do some searching on pressure/vac testing. Impulse and fuel lines dry up over time and become very brittle. If you post in the chainsaw forum you can get the parts manuals and get some better opinions. Fuel line, filter, impulse line, and a carb kit would be a good start. Cost about 30 bucks or so if you do the work.

thanks for the reply. so, looks like it basically just needs a carb rebuild. i will check with agway to see if they have the kit.

start with spark plug air filter fuel filter is the carb clean carb ajusted correctly??

I had the similar situation with my stihl handheld blower. replaced fuel filter air filter new carb new fuel line spark plug..

check these first.

went to agway to buy a carb kit and i explained my symptoms to the guy at the counter and he said it sounded like the resistor in your muffler was clogged. Sounded pretty confident about it to.

I assume he meant spark arrestor. Anyway, I went home, pulled the muffler off and found the small screen I think he was talking about. It looked fine, but, i cleaned it anyway and reassembled. Also looked at the air filter and cleaned it. Pulled the spark plug too. It seemed a little dark looking to me. I will replace it.

Is there some place on this forum where I can find a "how to" post on carb adjusting? Are special tools needed? Is it worth the $$$ to just pay someone with a clue?

oh i forgot about that. sorry.

yes replace the plug.

how are the fuel lines? air filter? carb clean?

about ajusting carb. I really would have someone else do it. I dont like to mess with them on mine. I wil ajust a little bit but not much.

I would do this.

find an old beat up saw for cheap. Stihl or husky. Dissassemble whole saw. Look everything over. REplace parts as needed. Learn to ajust carb. This way if something happens it wont be on your 038. And you will gain knowledge to work on a saw.

I have an old 025 im going to rebuild. Entire saw minus a few things.

Hope this helps.

1 to 1 1/8 turn out on the h and l needles would be a good place to start. Adjust the throttle screw from there. If the saw won't run properly then something is wrong, whether bad lines, gummed fuel filter, stiff carb diaphragms, obstruction in the needles, torn or rotted intake boot, crank seals...

Check the bends in the fuel line carefully where they snake out of the tank and into the carb for cracks.

Check inside carb for debris or cracked rubber parts. Also under the carb cover that covers the pumping diaprahm (sp?) , it can fill with fine sawdust that keeps the carb from pumping fuel.

Intake boot or impulse line for leaks.

Coil wire where it snakes between tank and motor housing can get pinched, then it shorts.

The above is what I've found in my stable of 038 saws. Hope it is helpful.

Back