Stihl Farm Boss 038 AVS or 362CM?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curiosul

Reaction score
I have both, they feel the same (power-wise, although I never used them with freshly sharpened chains) and even if there's a weight difference, I can't say it bothers me.
I just cut trees around my house, maybe 5 hours total a year.
They both run fine, start easily, can cut anything I throw at them (it's not like I need to cut huge trees, usually stuff under 2ft in diameter, rarely 3ft)

The question is, which one will last longer?

I need to clean up my shed and I have to decide which one to get rid of (and one of these chainsaws is just one on a long list of stuff I don't need)

My wife would like to have a word with you ...
that 038 is likely 30 years old, 362 might be 15 years old. both should be solid and reliably saws for a long time but to me the 038 is just a over built tank of a saw thats easy to work on being simply designed and carbs and other parts are still being made by stihl, newer oem supplier versions of carbs for it are still being made and so are carb kits. but seriously I'd keep two saws just as a fail safe if you have land were a tree could fall and a saw could get you freed or your driveway unblocked. If you do decide to have just one you should accumulate some extra parts and supplies so you can rebuild and service all parts of it as needed.

If it was me and I just had to get rid of one, I would keep the 362 C-M. The 362 is a newer saw, lighter weight, parts should be available longer, and it has more belt horsepower.

While I really like and use my 362 more these days it can`t hold a candle to my 038 torque monster. The 362 is more comfortable to run and its easier on fuel but when it comes to real power the 038 would eat the 362 for lunch. I run a 20 inch full chisel on the 362, its plenty fast cutting enough for most stuff I cut these days but the 038 will pull a 30 inch in the wood here, it`s a blast felling a tree around the 30 inch mark with it, just dropped a 28 - 30 inch poplar last week with it, old school power had it off the stump before a leaf could drop to the ground.

Latest posts

Back