My New MS 361 Cuts Oak...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
like butter. What an incredible saw this is. :chainsaw:

I dropped a 7-ton, red oak tree this past weekend, working with two other buddies, and just finished stacking my share. I used the MS 361 for the felling and bucking the big trunk. Then I used my Echo 3900 for the larger limbs and Mac 3514 for the smaller limb work. Terrific team.

The tree reached 30" dia. at the base, but branches were everywhere because the power company had topped it several times. We split the wood onsite with my buddy's homemade splitter and hauled out 6 mounded-up pickup truckloads. I gave most of the split wood to him. The tree was surprisingly healthy but threatening a power line, a street lamp, and a commercial building, so it had to go. A small plumwood tree leaninmg against the building also was included in the spoils.

Here's most of my share of the hoard (about two cords). The tall portion of the stack is about 8' high and some of it is to the left of the picture:
OakFirewood1.jpg

This should be ready to heat the house next year. Wood from the dead branches are not shown and have joined my seasoned firewood collection. Now, why did I not buy the 361 three years ago?
:cheers:

Last edited:
This may be just my $0.02 cents worth, but I would not set my 361 down to pick up any Echo.
Well, the Echo is pulling only a 16" chain and the Mac only a 14". It just seemed more comfortable to do limbing with the smaller saws. I've got a 20" on the 361, and there are times when it cuts 4" dia. limbs so fast that you don't even know when you're through them. :dizzy:

In this case, nearly half the wood was branches because the tree resembled a big bush. So, only about half the mass needed to be split. The Echo and the Mac are each about two pounds lighter than the 361, so for limbing, they worked a bit easier.

It sounds like you are happy with the new 361, Dr. Ed. That's a nice looking stack of new firewood in the picture.

I like to use smaller, lighter saws for limbing myself. I have a MS180 and and old Poulan 1952 for the small stuff, and a MS270 for the medium size limbs. Saving a couple of pounds when the saw is over my head keeps me in the game longer. But felling and bucking firewood with the 361 is a real pleasure.

It sounds like you are happy with the new 361, Dr. Ed. That's a nice looking stack of new firewood in the picture.

I like to use smaller, lighter saws for limbing myself. I have a MS180 and and old Poulan 1952 for the small stuff, and a MS270 for the medium size limbs. Saving a couple of pounds when the saw is over my head keeps me in the game longer. But felling and bucking firewood with the 361 is a real pleasure.

The buzz word this year here in central Colorado will be 'Beetle-Kill' and pine beetle mitigation. Fire Mitigation needs everything to lay flatter then 6" when done, less for beetle control. But I do see an MS-180 coming on,,,,but the 361 seem a cake walk setting down a 660 ..

I also bought the case, a spare Stihl chain, and a few other goodies. I like to do my own chain sharpening with my Granberg. I notice on the case there is a special place for a nameplate, so I may have to carve something up from the workshop.

Then the dealer showed me a new miniature professional Stihl gas pruning saw that weighs less than 5 lb and looks like you can run it with one hand. A "measly" $300 will take it home. I can't even find that one listed at the Stihl website. :dizzy:

Last edited:
Stihl 192T

Are you sure he wasn't showing you the 192T? It does weigh a bit more than 5lbs though. Stihl's 192T specs
Yep. That's it. Gosh, I thought it weghed less than that (7 lb).
MS192TCE.jpg

I think he only had a 12" bar on it. If I wanted to establish a tree trimming business, that might be the first saw I would buy. LOML looked at it, and it was love at first sight. I was getting jealous.:) :)

Last edited:
They make a rear handle version of the 192 also. I think it just came out, the links to dealers from Stihl's site dont even show the price yet. I think I'm gonna have to pick one up if I see it at the dealer this weekend.

JUST CALLED THE DEALER: None in stock yet, but, they run for 329.99 w/14" bar.

Last edited:
Back