My rookie attempt at a little porting cleanup and matching: Compliments and ridicule welcome! :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Open the area under the deflector as much as possible. If you're not using screen then you can go bigger.
I would do What Mike said above,,, And not worry about the 288 deflector,,, just open the existing deflector hole a bit to where you still have your screen and rebase line your carb... You will be well pleased,,,

a wise gun toting monkey and a half worn out TN logger have both said " Less is More" Two smokes need a bit of backpressure to really perform well...

If you make the hole too big,, it just makes a lot of noise and performance falls off,,,, and stuff and by the way your port work looks fine

Just thought I would post an update on my 357.

I received my K24-HDA carb kit in the mail the other day, and picked up the parts to delete the auto-decomp and install the manual decomp from GKS today.

Got the carb kit installed, drilled a 1/8" hole in the diaphragm cover, capped the auto-decomp fitting and installed the manual decomp. I also added a second exhaust port in the rear section of the muffler and installed the 288 deflector. I was just going to enlarge the existing opening as suggested here, but Brended had already ordered the deflectors that I had previously requested and I did not want to be a dink and tell him I didn't want them now. So I figured I would just go ahead and use them..the second one will be going on my 372xpw. ;) So for the second port, imagine 2 dime-sized holes drilled so they are almost touching, and then filing them out to make the 2 holes a uniform oval shape. That is about the size of the extra port I made in the side of the muffler. I did also use a screen. I am very pleased with how it came out, it looks factory.

So after doing these little jobs, I got the saw tuned in pretty good with no load and it flat out RIPS! I had to attend a family function today and did not have the time to give the 57 some wood to chew on to check the state of tune under a load. Saw is idling perfectly now with no lean surging and revs like a scalded ape! At this point, it feels like I have made some improvements. I'm not making any outlandish claims that it's a hot saw or anything like that, but it does feel like a bit different of a saw than it was before these upgrades I have done.

I want to thank you all for the guidance and advice, particularly Treemonkey for telling us the fix, and the rest of you who have commented in this thread with very helpful and very much appreciated information.

Thank you gentlemen! My 357 is running great!

Next up: 75cc 372XPW get's second muffler port, base gasket delete, and the same rookie port match/cleanup and transfer partition beveling. I hope my 372 responds to these little mods as well as the 357 seems to have done. :)

Latest posts

Back