my stove ate an aluminum can.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I melted the engine and gen head on a cheap generator tossed in the fire, also a home jobber table saw. Probably bunch of other stuff. If it fits in the stove door and burns, it goes in.

I melted the engine and gen head on a cheap generator tossed in the fire.

ha, aluminum is nothing... why just the other day I placed a goodly chunk of rich dark chocolate in Brutus on the front log, half on fire and all behind it blazing hotly... and soon, omg, :eek: it had just bubbled away!

totally gone nary a brown track left to mark the incident ~

lol

I think there's some magic ratio of aluminum cans to potato peals you have to burn.
Obviously nothing takes place of sweeping your chimney, but is their anything you can burn that helps with soot and creosote? Such as the products sold in big box stores that make such claims?

Obviously nothing takes place of sweeping your chimney, but is their anything you can burn that helps with soot and creosote? Such as the products sold in big box stores that make such claims?

Tri sodium phosphate or TSP

no doubt this is the best idea!! I have never found anything that convinced me! best to look up inside smoke chamber. with good light. and up the flue. dry hard woods like oak can go many years without depositing heavy creosote. softer speeds build up. danger area is lower 3-4 ' up. over 1 " and I would be concerned. 1/4" or so would not bother me. keep fire temps down somewhat with smaller. in my area a chimney sweep will run $250 - 375 or so depending...

spoken by a man with 7 fireplaces... all wood burners! :)

no doubt this is the best idea!! I have never found anything that convinced me! best to look up inside smoke chamber. with good light. and up the flue. dry hard woods like oak can go many years without depositing heavy creosote. softer speeds build up. danger area is lower 3-4 ' up. over 1 " and I would be concerned. 1/4" or so would not bother me. keep fire temps down somewhat with smaller. in my area a chimney sweep will run $250 - 375 or so depending...

spoken by a man with 7 fireplaces... all wood burners! :)
At that price its worth doing on your own! Brush and poles shouldnt exceed $75. It only takes a little bit of time to get up there and run the sweep through the chimney. I've never actually heard of anyone paying someone to sweep a chimney unless they were having it professionally inspected by the people cleaning it.

At that price its worth doing on your own! Brush and poles shouldnt exceed $75. It only takes a little bit of time to get up there and run the sweep through the chimney. I've never actually heard of anyone paying someone to sweep a chimney unless they were having it professionally inspected by the people cleaning it.

oh, it's quite a show! chimney sweep shows up in black outfit, long cape and coat... tall top hat... explains his plan, brings in his super no dust vac system, seals up the firebox opening... ensures the lady of the house for the umpteenth time, there will be NO soot in her living room! lol... removes cap...turns on vac and off he goes to do his thing. takes about 15 -20 mins or so... and the flue is shiny and brite, near new! puts on shoe booties, removes vac sys... and brings in whatever fireplace mite need to ensure it's sealed, etc firebox to walls...

most people r not going to run out and buy a set of sweep pole links, etc... and hop up on top of roof while the neighbors cheer him on!!! sitting in lawn chairs...

I would say running the sweep thru is the issue, ie, soot dust. and of course, the man in black show is more than worth some of the fee. it's right out of a Charles Dickens novel. I always ask... now is the Sweep going to show up in his sweep outfit? oh yes sir... we offer a professional service.

of course... 300 beats a house burning down!!!!

realize this,,some of those "poles", aren't worth buying!! why?? because they are small dia,, and will flex to no end!!! the ones I have, are 1/2 inch dia fiberglass,,and while not cheap,, they will outlast you.. and trying to clean a chimney,, with flexing "poles",, SUCKS!!!

oh, it's quite a show! chimney sweep shows up in black outfit, long cape and coat... tall top hat... explains his plan, brings in his super no dust vac system, seals up the firebox opening... ensures the lady of the house for the umpteenth time, there will be NO soot in her living room! lol... removes cap...turns on vac and off he goes to do his thing. takes about 15 -20 mins or so... and the flue is shiny and brite, near new! puts on shoe booties, removes vac sys... and brings in whatever fireplace mite need to ensure it's sealed, etc firebox to walls...

most people r not going to run out and buy a set of sweep pole links, etc... and hop up on top of roof while the neighbors cheer him on!!! sitting in lawn chairs...

I would say running the sweep thru is the issue, ie, soot dust. and of course, the man in black show is more than worth some of the fee. it's right out of a Charles Dickens novel. I always ask... now is the Sweep going to show up in his sweep outfit? oh yes sir... we offer a professional service.

of course... 300 beats a house burning down!!!!

Ha that's pretty cool!

I had mine done the year I broke my back. An old guy showed up, pretty sure he'd fallen a few times cause he was almost more crippled up than me.

realize this,,some of those "poles", aren't worth buying!! why?? because they are small dia,, and will flex to no end!!! the ones I have, are 1/2 inch dia fiberglass,,and while not cheap,, they will outlast you.. and trying to clean a chimney,, with flexing "poles",, SUCKS!!!
That's why I bought some nylon rope a chain and some thin cable to connect the chain to the brush and the rope to the brush. Let gravity do half the work!

I figured out one other possible solution for an inexpensive chimney sweep. I hired a good sweep and then showed him what I burn. Then I gave him a few business cards. Several new customers called during the year and the sweep also bought a truckload of my good, dry hardwood for his cabin. That paid for his work, and everybody benefited.

My daughter wanted to see if it would melt it. It didn't take long!
Aluminum melts at 1,221°F, so yeah, it gets pretty hot in there. Even my plain old fireplace will melt aluminum. I know this because once in a while I get a tree with an aluminum forest-management dog-tag nailed to it. The nail is still recognizably a nail when I shovel out the ashes, but there's usually not much if anything left of the aluminum tag.

Aluminum melts at 1,221°F, so yeah, it gets pretty hot in there. Even my plain old fireplace will melt aluminum. I know this because once in a while I get a tree with an aluminum forest-management dog-tag nailed to it. The nail is still recognizably a nail when I shovel out the ashes, but there's usually not much if anything left of the aluminum tag.
I believe a good wood stove or even a bonfire can reach over 2000 F at the bottom. Some guys here have said 2300 F, or just a bit less than natural gas or propane. So, an aluminum can will actually vaporize down to almost nothing. You can also melt copper.

Back