My woodpile is growling at me..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have a large pile of wood by the boiler left over from the past winter. I am in the process of stacking it so as to make it easier to cover and pull from. All was gowing well until about a third of the way through the pile. That's when I heard it. I pulled a stick of oak, and the pile growled from deep inside. Not sure if I heard right, I pulled another stick....yep, the pile is growling at me. So either there is a stick of oak, or perhaps even a rowdy maple that is very content being where it is in the pile, or I have a trespasser of the furry four legged type that has taken up residence. I see no entrance to the pile. I dug out some supplies today that I may need in the near future. 22's, and tomato juice. I'll keep you posted....:)

:givebeer:

Wait until daylight. If there are no pics, it never happened. You have remember the AS rules. :popcorn:

Throw a large tarp over it, sealing down the edges with wood and run the exaust from you vehicle in under the tarp. Goodnight to whatever is in there, and hopefully no stinky mess.

A couple years back, late fall, I lift the tarp to get some sticks and heard that same growl, startled me a bit, I told em "you stay on your side and I'll stay on mine." He said ok so that was cool with me.

Throw a large tarp over it, sealing down the edges with wood and run the exaust from you vehicle in under the tarp. Goodnight to whatever is in there, and hopefully no stinky mess.

Probably not very efficient with any car newer then about 15 years old. Computer controlled engines and catalytic converters do wonders on the emissions.

Probably not very efficient with any car newer then about 15 years old. Computer controlled engines and catalytic converters do wonders on the emissions.

A couple blocks of dry ice will easily pick up where newer car emissions leave off.

I've been involved with many a skunk and I have never heard them growl at me. Oppossoms hiss, raccoons growl. This time of year they have babies and so it may be a Mamma and she is not going to give up her turf and a woodpile is a prime spot to drop a litter of babies.

I have a huge porcupine problem. I probably shoot 20-30 of them a year.

One day I'm walking around the corner of the house with one of my dogs and there is a porcupine knawing on my woodpile. Luckily I saw it before the dog did, because I was thinking the dog would get quilled (again).

No gun handy, so I grabbed the closest thing which was a shovel and pounded him over the head with it :clap::clap::clap:

I have a huge porcupine problem.

No gun handy, so I grabbed the closest thing which was a shovel and pounded him over the head with it :clap::clap::clap:

No gun handy?? You call yourself a Mainah? The misquitoes up here need a 12 guage to bring down... JK

Shovel, very creative. I used a vacume cleaner on a squirrel in the Kitchen once...

I have a huge porcupine problem. I probably shoot 20-30 of them a year.

One day I'm walking around the corner of the house with one of my dogs and there is a porcupine knawing on my woodpile. Luckily I saw it before the dog did, because I was thinking the dog would get quilled (again).

I remember reading on another forum about someone with a Jack Russell dog that kept having a go at a hedgehog, the bit that creased me up was the description of...
"Bark Bark, pounce, yelp.
Bark Bark, pounce, yelp.
Bark Bark, pounce, yelp.
Bark Bark, pounce, yelp." as it kept on doing the same thing again and again.

take no chances.... use a .270.....

n1516146229_290168_1562480.jpg

if ur feeling crazy... go in after it with a 9mm like me and my buds do

4501_1139584659241_1516146229_320186_6489053_n.jpg

^^my friend

If ur looking to catch him, just do it like me....

springbreak437.jpg

took my friend hunting, he uses a 30/30....

thfhunt008.jpg

hope this helps..... if none of this will work... just crank up ur chainsaw and....:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back