Mystery husky, broken serial tag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwannachopwood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey everyone I’m trying to compare this model to others and I’m having troubles. Was told it’s a 245 or 254. I can’t tell like some of you pros. The tag is gone so I’m not sure how I can get parts with no serial number, suggestions?
I know it has heated handle button. That means “G”.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
I don’t think it’s a G because I’m not seeing a generator for the heated handle or a wire going to the handle. 254 sounds like a good guess, an XP saw simply means it is a pro model, not version. IE 460 rancher vs 562xp, both 60-some odd cc’s, but entirely different machines.

I don’t think it’s a G because I’m not seeing a generator for the heated handle or a wire going to the handle. 254 sounds like a good guess, an XP saw simply means it is a pro model, not version. IE 460 rancher vs 562xp, both 60-some odd cc’s, but entirely different machines.
I have to find where the generator is located (flywheel side?) The handle that you see in a non heated handle but it has this provision and a button it’s kinda busted
Hmm ok I’m trying to put the peices together for you clever folks I appreciate it! I have 2 mysterious huskys with no ID plate and I’m worried about ordering parts with no number

I have to find where the generator is located (flywheel side?) The handle that you see in a non heated handle but it has this provision and a button it’s kinda busted
Hmm ok I’m trying to put the peices together for you clever folks I appreciate it! I have 2 mysterious huskys with no ID plate and I’m worried about ordering parts with no number
I believe the generator would be under the flywheel. That certainly appears to be a switch for a heated handle, so it is a “G”.

This 254 was suppose to be for parts but it has a weird de comp setup, ID tag says 254. Slightly different slightly the same for some parts I imagine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
Thank you woodslasher I appreciate the input. Now just to relate a serial number close to it for parts. Curious what to do there

2nd saw I believe it’s a 261 or 266 or somthing also with no tag. What is the giveaway clue?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
Thank you woodslasher I appreciate the input. Now just to relate a serial number close to it for parts. Curious what to do there

2nd saw I believe it’s a 261 or 266 or somthing also with no tag. What is the giveaway clue?
I believe that is a 266, but the dog is how I tell what series the saw is.

This 254 was suppose to be for parts but it has a weird de comp setup, ID tag says 254. Slightly different slightly the same for some parts I imagine
It's not decomp. It's "Nordfeller". It uses combustion pressure under load to inflate a "felling cushion" inserted in the felling cut which expands to fell the tree.

That's a 61 or a 266se. The cylinder bore (48mm or 50mm, respectively) will tell the story.

Hey everyone I’m trying to compare this model to others and I’m having troubles. Was told it’s a 245 or 254. I can’t tell like some of you pros. The tag is gone so I’m not sure how I can get parts with no serial number, suggestions?
I know it has heated handle button. That means “G”.
The oil pump appears to be alloy (not white plastic) so if that's original, it's probably a 254 rather than a 154. Also the flywheel has low-profile allen-head starter pawl screws which also lean toward 254. My guess would be 1987 given the "7" cast into the flywheel.
It has a switch in the place where the generator switch would be but the only way to tell if it was once a "G" is to pull the flywheel and find magnets on the underside and/or the generator coil.
BTW, the fuel cap is a 61/266 type which seals with a flat rubber gasket rather than an o-ring but that's probably the least of your worries.

Plastic fuel tank = 61. 266 had a metal tank but anything could've been changed over the years.

Didn't the late model 266's have plastic tanks?
Could be regional differences. In Australia they were still all alloy in 1988 when the 266XP was about to be replaced by the 268XP.
I assumed this was worldwide but as we assembled the saws in Sydney, it's possible it was just us.

Wow what a knowledgeable bunch of guys you are thank you so much, we all learn so much! Yes heated handle bars and Nordfeller air bag model I had to check it out on the you tube that’s awsome he splits a log with the air bag!! These saws were complete toilets when they came here (and I’ll never get paid for the time I truly put into them for owners I did it to learn more to become better the next time a old unit comes).
Now they run and look pretty but I need some guidance

here’s what I found out
Saw number #1 254 xpg runs awsome, I broke 2 flywheel keys with it and they are NLA
The generator is missing no worries it’s missing the heated bar and broken button, steel cover behind it.

—- a lot of free space between the throttle rod contact point (orange slip on thing) and the wear bar of the lever trigger end. It almost maxes out the butter flys. But no throttle contact until the finger trigger is like half range of motion…

__ I can’t for the life of me or the local husky dealers to supply me with a bar chain and rim 18-20” 3/8 7 pin or a freaking part number!!! Need help!! I’m searching forums.

Saw #2 266xp old course thread clutch version runs awsome after some messing around but the chain spins pulling the starter and at idle (drag the chain it dies) I’ve changed the one piece spring 2 times still drags. Im going to try swapping drum and shoes.
no parts available for that clutch no more……
—Again needs a bar and chain and the local dealers suck they sent me home wrong stuff 2 times now, trying to find a 20-24” bar chain and rim for that.. searching forums.
I have a Oregon bar p/n 228xxxD009 supplied with the saw but nobody can help me link a chain for it so I’m trying to match somthing for it and get these puppies in the wood!!!!

Latest posts

Back