MYSTERY----NON MAHLE OEM Cylinders on Stihl 066???????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
I found a non Mahle cylinder for an 066. I didn't realize it until I cleaned all the gunk off of it. Did Stihl have another supplier for the 066 run? This jug has the Stihl logo and 1122 part number, but no other brand name on it. It is the later, thicker version. It also has an extra fin above the base, under the exhaust port. It also has a weird ridge around the middle of the base (about halfway up the thickness of the base). The top where the manufacture date code is also differant. The only numbers stamped up top are A (in the circle) and 9L in front of the circle.

Anyone ever ran into these or know who made them (Gilardoni?)

Here are a few pics, sorry the quality kind of sucks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

No mystery.. Made by Stihl in Brazil. Big cylinder plant down there... Cylinders for many models are now made In Brazil.

They have been perfect. Many of the 036 from the 90's are running Brazil cylinders. The 066/MS660 cylinders have been around for several years. Stihl also makes a large % of their pistons and cranks- in Va.

How's the quality compared to a Mahle cylinder?

YEAH, what he said?

Brad, it looks decent, but came in a box of parts, so I don't know how old it is, other than it is a good, NOT scored cylinder to add to the collection of parts I don't have time for now...lol.

No mystery.. Made by Stihl in Brazil. Big cylinder plant down there... Cylinders for many models are now made In Brazil.

There goes the thought that everything made in Germany is top notch.............

I thought the US was the only one outsourcing jobs??????.....:monkey:

Do the ports have a smoother finish on the non mahale cylinder?

The casting area in the transfers is less pourous. I haven't measured the port timing, but it isn't off much by eye balling it. The quality looks very good, but I have yet to touch the ports with a grinder

Back